Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shell cordovan

shell cordovan

obviously i have read up on the process and history but i would very much appreciate seeing some members watches with shell cordovan straps and to hear your views on the product on the wrist -even possibly your preferred choice cow or horse shell
    not having had one is there a plasticity to its look and feel for instance ?

I'm a big fan of shell cordovan. It wears very well and in my experience has been darn near indestructible. I like that they are thin being a single layer of leather. You can find padded shell cordovan straps, but I prefer thin straps. It looks and feels like a regular leather strap except that it is smoother. My first one was on my Nomos, and I liked it so much that I bought several more for other watches.

3. Likes shameless liked this post
    I've only ever manhandled one, the one that came on Geoff's Nomos and which he had put on another watch.

I wasn't impressed and simply couldn't understand the fuss. I could see why Geoff had opted for something else, it just seemed lifeless.

(edit: I'm aware of the danger of extrapolating from a sample of one so I'll avoid drawing conclusions)
    Last edited by Der Amf; Jun 1, 2015 at 10:12 AM.

5. Likes shameless liked this post

shell cordovan

I've owned four horse leather straps (some of which DA has unknowingly seen
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433155516.271110.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  74.0 KB
    Juchten leather strap by Ledermax
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433155637.102729.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  114.6 KB
    Horween no 8 shell cordovan by Fluco
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433155834.038259.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  63.9 KB
    Hodinkee shell cordovan (never got a pic of this on the Beijing I bought it for)
    and of course
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433155894.385533.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  60.5 KB
    RIOS 1931 art manuel shell cordovan
    Thoughts:
    Shell *is* very odd when you buy it, with a glossy sheen and mac-like (oilskin) texture.
    But with use it matures into something very rich and special - as on the Strela
    I got the Horween no 8 because of its legendary colour changes with aging, but haven't worn this strap (or the Hodinkee) enough to see this
    You don't have to pay the earth if you look around (searching ebay.de for juchten leather works well)
    The hype about its easy care and sweat resistance are true, making it a great summer strap material
    Plus, it looks fab
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433156972.535219.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  44.5 KB
    Last edited by OhDark30; Jun 1, 2015 at 11:11 AM.
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

7. Likes Der Amf, DJW GB, shameless liked this post

shell cordovan

Compared to cow leather, straps made of horse leather feel harder and drier to me.
    Difficult to describe, but I think this dense strength and lower moisture absorbence explain its strength at lower thicknesses, and it's water resistance
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    Compared to cow leather, straps made of horse leather feel harder and drier to me.
    Difficult to describe, but I think this dense strength and lower moisture absorbence explain its strength at lower thicknesses, and it's water resistance
    Of your pictures, the more the strap appears to be trying to take advantage of the materials durable qualities, the more attractive it looks, to me at least

Plus I think I've got better at choosing straps with time
    The most disappointing (and expensive) was the Hodinkee. It's the classic single thickness shell cordovan style, but the edge treatment has been sloppily applied, and the cut of the strap isn't very precise. (Perhaps this is all part of the hipsterish *authenticity*, though?)
    I do wish the No 8 had had more wrist time. It still has the new slightly scary glossy surface, and I'd like to see how the colour develops

Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    thankyou for your imput -you use the word 'harder ' - do you mean they are not as supple or comfortable as a standard leather - also i think i read somewhere that the actual natural colour for cordovan would be the burgundy

Thanks, shameless!
    Harder: this *is* where it is hard to describe, lol
    The surface is harder, shinier in it's raw state than cow leather and there is less give when you press down on the strap.
    But.
    The strap is suppler and instantly comfortable.

Colourwise, the natural colour is that of the Hodinkee strap above.
    More here:
    http://corvuswatch.blogspot.co.uk/20...-cordovan.html
    Name:  Horweens_shell_cordovan_colours_at_Keikari_dot_com.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  110.9 KB
    Pic from here and more info:
    http://www.keikari.com/english/horwe...dovan-colours/

13. Likes Der Amf, DJW GB liked this post
    very interesting thankyou Dark