Last time I covered a Sotheby's Australia auction, it was my first time attending a watch auction, and while there were a number of highlights, the sale was heavily weighted towards jewellery. In December, however, Hamish Sharma, the Head of Jewels at Sotheby's Australia, and his hardworking team have produced a sale that not only has more watches but includes a number of very rare pieces that may have never hit the public market in Australia before. A standout among the highlights is the sale of a yellow gold Omega Speedmaster Apollo XI from 1969 ref. 145.022-69, which is an exceptional watch in its own right, but made even more special by the fact it is being sold on the 50th anniversary of man landing on the moon. I spoke to Hamish Sharma about how the sale was coming together, and he was delighted with its "phenomenal" offerings. "We put the catalogue online last week, and have been inundated with condition reports ever since," he said. "Everyone is excited, and we have received a lot of support from sellers who are offering some very nice pieces." While discussing the gold Omega Flightmaster and Speedmaster, he was able to say that…

The post 7 exceptional watches at the next Sotheby's Australia auction appeared first on Time and Tide Watches.

More...