Likes Likes:  182
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Watch Journey continued and SOTC at the end.

My Watch Journey continued and SOTC at the end.

When I last close the previous journey thread in 2017, I had just received my 344th lifetime watch the Omega 300 MM "57" LE model. While I find it a great watch, the need to try and keep the collection is some level of check, had the 57 leaving in the summer of 2018. Let me first list what still remains in the collection today form that closing group. In 2018 the Rolex Explorer II would get the first service at 5.5 years and now sits as the mechanical oldtimer being in my collection now for 6.5 years and counting. I still have an apple watch, yet now it is upgraded to a Series 4 Nike version in 2018. My Atomic Solar Riseman purchased in 2009 is my current collection oldtimer for ownership. It is still the grill timing favorite in my collection. As you will see, it made a lot of new G friends in 2018. The Titanium Ploprof remains as the number two size-wise big boy in the collection. Snoopy also remains along with the Titanium Planet Ocean orange and gray. The 43mm Sea-Dweller also remains while the Left hand Tudor Pelagos made it through the year, but left shortly after that. Gone are the Topper Diver 65 replaced by another LE Topper diver I'll talk about later. The two Panerai 372 and the 619 are also gone. I'll get another Pam someday when they build the model I'm looking for. To me, the perfect PAM is something that has the size, WR, and a case thickness of the 619 with the Luminoir crown guard. A few of the Due models are close if they only had some real WR. One of the harder to part with was the Rolex Air King. I may get one back someday. One of the few watches I ever regret selling is the Omega Speedmaster CK 2998. This served as my dress watch for about two years. I still think it may be the best looking Speedy ever done. Omega should have given it a strap with deployant in place of the pin buckle. The Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe Titanium made it until the summer of 2018 to be replaced with the Blue dials ceramic cased version of the watch. The Suunto Core was gifted to a neighbors son. So based on the above, here are the watches I had around Basel of 2018, or additions I've already talked about.

Rolex Sea Dweller 43

Omega Seamaster Ploprof

Rolex Polar White Explorer II

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Titanium (gray/ orange)

Omega Speedmaster Silver Snoopy

Casio G-Shock Atomic /Solar Riseman complete with paint speckle

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe Ceramic Deep Ocean (Arrived July of 2018)

Apple Watch Series 4 Nike

Name:  IMG_0537.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  64.2 KB

Departed watches:

Suunto Core

Apple Gen 1 Watch

Omega Speedmaster CK 2998 LE

Blancpain 50 Fathoms Bathyscaphe Titanium

Panerai 371 and 619

Rolex Airking(40mm)

Tudor Pelagos Left Hand LE

Topper Diver 65 No Date

More to come for 2018 and 2019 in the coming days including my current STOC. With changes described above lifetime total now sits at 346.
    Last edited by Samanator; Dec 2, 2019 at 12:14 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

When I saw the "at the end" part of the title, I thought, "no way Michael's at the end."

Looking forward to seeing what's next--it's an excellent collection, even if we only have one watch in common.

3. Likes Samanator liked this post

I found a watch I missed in late 2017. I tried my third attempt at the Omega Aqua Tera with the Grey dial with blue hands and markers on an Omega rubber strap with deployant. This was the best AT I've owned, but the big arrow on the end of the minute hands still block the date window for five minutes every hour as it passes by. The strap solved my issue with this on the bracelet, but I they need a no date version for me to get over the date blocking. This would be a short-lived lifetime watch 347.

Name:  IMG_0152.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  62.8 KB

In mid-January of 2018 I stopped by Toppers during a business trip. This is always dangerous, and this time was no exception. I tried on nearly everything new and pre-owned in the store.

While there, the first thing that caught my eye was the New Zenith Defy EL Primero 21 chronograph with the ability to measure down to the 1/100 of a second using a secondary escapement beating at 360,000 vph. The primary escapement beats at 36,000vph like all El Primero and runs the standard time functions on the Defy 21. The watch has two barrels to store energy — one for the primary escapement, and one for the secondary escapement. The second barrel is indicated by the power reserve meter since it can use up the energy in 50 minutes of chronograph operation (Sub-dial only allows measuring up to 30 minutes. Though all El Primero are automatics the crown on the Defy 21 winds one barrel in when wound in one direction and the other barrel when turned the other direction. I liked, but could not really tell the time easily the skeleton dialed version. While I did not fully love the solid dialed with the silver finish, it was the best option at the time. I decided to purchase this one in Titanium and with the rubberized croc strap with deployant. The AT was traded towards purchasing the Zenith.

Name:  IMG_0231.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  71.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0301.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  59.3 KBName:  IMG_0305.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  40.3 KB

Watch two was more to see if Rob had a preowned SBDX011 Auto Tuna. I sold the one I had when the Spring Drive Tuna came out. I hated the glossy finish of the SD Tuna and the fourth failed attempt to come to terms with the monster hands Seiko seems to use on most of their newer divers these days. I had been looking for about a year and a half for an 011. When that did not yield anything I decided to give the SBDX013 a try. I order the 013 hoping I could come to like the monster hands on it. This is the only change from the 011 to the 013. Short story, I did not, and these hands have kept me from a few other highly desirable Seikos ( like the Topper Ninja).
    Name:  IMG_0584.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  45.0 KB

Watch three that caught my eye was a preowned latest edition IWC Aquatimer I saw while looking through what Rob had in pre-owned. I've never owned an IWC, and this had the current Safe Dive internal bezel moved by the external ring. I did not jump on it right away, and it sold the following Monday. I found the same watch at a preowned dealer Crown and Caliber, and picked it up a few weeks later. I would think this was the perfect watch, but it really only does things OK. So many others do them much better. Given I started to focus more on keeping my collection number under control the IWC is not as good as the Titanium PO IMO. For this reason it could not stay.

Name:  IMG_0306.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  63.9 KB
    These three put me at a lifetime watch total of 350. Note that none of these made it through the year. The Zenith lasted the longest. I would buy it again in a solid dial color of black, blue or dark grey. More to come.
    Last edited by Samanator; Dec 2, 2019 at 12:18 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    When I saw the "at the end" part of the title, I thought, "no way Michael's at the end."

Looking forward to seeing what's next--it's an excellent collection, even if we only have one watch in common.
    We will have two when my Hulk comes in to replace the one that was stolen a few years ago. Back then my AD talked me into the purchase of the Batman on Oyster since he had four Hulks in the store and the Batman was nearly impossible to get. I seem to remember him saying he could get me a Hulk anytime. Boy did that change shortly there after. I remind him of this frequently.
    Cheers,

Michael

6. Likes mlcor, synequano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    We will have two when my Hulk comes in to replace the one that was stolen a few years ago. Back then my AD talked me into the purchase of the Batman on Oyster since he had four Hulks in the store and the Batman was nearly impossible to get. I seem to remember him saying he could get me a Hulk anytime. Boy did that change shortly there after. I remind him of this frequently.
    I saw pre-owned Hulks in two stores in Boston over the weekend. Of course the prices were absurd, but I have to believe their presence in the display cases means the bubble will soon burst. Of course, not an issue if you’re waiting for a new one at list price (other than a smaller possibility of big profits if flipped down the road).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes Samanator liked this post

Before Basel, I decided to give the Padi version of the Kinetic Diver GMT a second try after the short-lived SBDX013 tuna hands drove me crazy. Again the silicone strap is so long it just does not wear right on my wrist. I tried to tame this balance lacking watch ( very top heavy) with a few other rubber straps to no avail. It was gone by May.

I decided to replace the Omega Speedmaster CK2998 LE as my dress watch, which I mentioned before. I decided to try a different direction and go with a different complication. The watch chosen was the Topper edition NOMOS World Time Burlingame. The Burlingame for those that do not know is the city Topper Jewelers is located in. On the world time, Burligame replaced LA for the west coast US time zone. The Topper watch also had blued hands and a white enamel dial.

During Basel 2018 Rolex announced the SS Pepsi GMT Master II on Jubilee bracelet. I was first through the door of my AD that morning and had my name number one on the list to receive this watch on the first of May. It is still in my collection.

These make my lifetime watch total at this point 353. More to come tomorrow.
    Last edited by Samanator; Dec 2, 2019 at 11:56 AM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I saw pre-owned Hulks in two stores in Boston over the weekend. Of course the prices were absurd, but I have to believe their presence in the display cases means the bubble will soon burst. Of course, not an issue if you’re waiting for a new one at list price (other than a smaller possibility of big profits if flipped down the road).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Over priced preowns still in a case do not signal an end of the trend. Prices will come down a bit, and they will be gone too. I'm hoping by the time my replacement Hulk comes in they will have upgraded them to the newer movement. That's what happened with the Deep Blue DSSD when I passed on the first one in 2017 that came in the day after my Sea Dweller came in. I regret most having to pass on the SS panda Daytona that came in two days after that. Did not want to spend that much money in one week (SD, Daytaona, and DSSD within four days). That would be nearly $39K after taxes.
    Last edited by Samanator; Dec 2, 2019 at 12:00 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

11. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    I'm curious to see the current collection as it stands today. I know you will get there. I lost track at this point.
    Cheers,

Richard

13. Likes Samanator, CFR, popoki nui liked this post

It had been a few years that Eric Singer and I had worked with Rob on a few watches. We knew each other mostly in text. Finally, in August of 2017, we met in person at Rob's wedding. From that point, we started texting each other even more. Eric is really into vintage, and modern Zodiac watches. As it turns out, I had an old watch of my dad's that had been stored away in a toolbox in the garage since the '70s. It had a broken mainspring, a cracked crystal, and a few other parts needed. Otherwise, it was in fantastic shape and was on a period-correct matching Spidel Twist-o-Flex bracelet. I had looked a few times over the years and could not find the parts. I mentioned it to Eric one day, and within a few hours, he found the perfect doner watch to get me what I needed. It was funny when it arrived. It was in all these vet medical boxes and bags from the seller. As some of you might know, my wife breeds dogs, so naturally, when it arrived in these boxes, I left it on her desk. It was there for three weeks until I was trying to track it down and found it down there. I had the watch together in a day and posted pictures a few days later. My dad does not want it back, so now it's mine. I never wind it past halfway since I do not think this movement has overwound protection. It is a cool little watch.

So tag this as lifetime watch 354.
    Last edited by Samanator; Dec 2, 2019 at 07:59 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

It is indeed a cool little watch, but it's a little too little for me at 34mm. I've almost clicked the buy button several times. I really like it!
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.