Likes Likes:  182
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Watch Journey continued and SOTC at the end.

My Watch Journey continued and SOTC at the end.

Around May of 2018, I started wearing my old G-Shock Riseman for the chrono function. I needed to time some things we had to administer to the dogs via IV several times a day. I came to have a new appreciation for G-Shocks after this. I decided to add a couple to my collection. I know it may not be the popular G selection, but I like the atomic with solar models for their nearly no touch function. My Riseman has functioned without issue for ten years now. So I'm sold on this tech.

The first G that I chose to try was the newer GWC-1000 Atomic Solar Ani-Digital Mudman. This is a big watch at 56mm x 16mm. I am smitten with it, but I seem to wear the digital-only G's more.
    Name:  IMG_0274.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  88.5 KBName:  IMG_0271.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  42.9 KB
    Next in was the GMW-B5000 SS case with a rubber strap with a reverse display. This watch is Atomic, Solar and also has the new connected setup. I love this thing. It is virtually touch-free, and the app works great to change functions easily in menus. These are great travel watches where you can configure them to follow the time on your phone to the new location. The silicone strap on this is very comfortable.

Given how much I liked the 5000 I tried one of the connected Ani only connected MT-G-B1000-1A. It was the SS case with the rubber strap like the 5000. I did not like the legibility day or night. It was traded shortly after giving it a few months to try to like it. This was the most expensive new G.

A much better fit was the Ani/Digital atomic/connected Gravitymaster with the blue highlights. These are a good size, and everything works fairly easy with the connected setup. This was also the least expensive new G. Still more than my old Riseman.

Name:  IMG_0272.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  49.2 KBName:  IMG_0273.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  84.0 KB

Since we're focused on G-Shocks in this post, I'll stay with these even though this one time-wise did not join the collection until mid-December in 2018. The Rangeman is the does everything model in the line. It can sync the time by atomic, connected, or satellite GPS. It is also a GPS that not only can navigate to a location but can also record a path or trail to navigate back to were you started. It does tide charts, moon phases, altitude, and about fifty other things. It can be charged by solar, or by an inductive quick-charger. The display digits for the time are nearly 10mm high, so readability is easy even ten feet away without glasses. Mine is the limited Magma ( I always picture Dr. Evil saying that) edition with the red and tarnished copper highlights. It's enormous at 58mm x 20mm thick and reasonably heavy but is pretty comfortable. It will look big on everyone's wrist, and no, it does not fit under a shirt cuff easily. It's cool, mostly based on its excess of everything.

Add these five to our total, and that brings me to 359 lifetime-watches.
    Last edited by Samanator; Dec 3, 2019 at 12:48 AM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

2. Likes Greg, tribe125, mlcor, OhDark30, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    It is indeed a cool little watch, but it's a little too little for me at 34mm. I've almost clicked the buy button several times. I really like it!
    I'm getting 33mm, but that does not help its case if 34mm is too small. I'm not saying it a great size on me. Just a neat watch that needs a reissue by Zodiac in a little bit bigger size. The other cool thing is I have the original case/box, with all the tags, books and receipts.
    Last edited by Samanator; Dec 2, 2019 at 10:32 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Looking at my iCloud photo library, it seems I missed two of the other Zodiac Sea Wolf 53 from early 2019.

The first one was the green shovel hand version on the Oyster bracelet. This does not have the Chronometer STP movement in it like all of my other past modern Zodiac. It still functioned well though I've never actually timed it for some reason. It served as a place holder until another Zodiac 53 took its place in 2019.
    Name:  IMG_0442.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  83.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0440.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  51.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0444.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  58.5 KB

The other Zodiac Seawolf 53 was the Topper LE from Eric and Rob's collaboration. On these I just provided a little input on the pair that came in a Black or Silver dial. I decided on the silver dial for my collection. I get a lot of compliments on this watch. Its fun to wear, and later on, I swapped in over to the tropical rubber strap in orange. It makes for a great combo with the Jubilee as back up. There were only 20 made of each color.

Name:  IMG_0933.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  62.0 KBName:  IMG_0931.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  59.3 KBName:  IMG_0932.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  56.8 KBName:  58731037716__A8E8F4D0-73C2-4C18-9EC5-EFF77DC64229.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  53.7 KBName:  58697432152__C8BE539B-5DC4-47CB-85C3-4C15F3407FEC.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  58.7 KB

These raise my lifetime count to 361.
    Last edited by Samanator; Dec 3, 2019 at 11:37 AM.
    Cheers,

Michael

5. Likes mlcor, CFR, OhDark30, Cybotron, iyonk liked this post
    Late note on the G-Shocks. One of these watches was bought during on promotion so I received this signed by Ibe. It's never been worn and has a reverse display. So this would be 362.

Name:  IMG_1798.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  26.6 KBName:  IMG_1797.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  26.6 KB
    Cheers,

Michael

While the Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi was a highly desired watch, there was another Basel announced watch that equaled it for me. This being, the return of the wave dial for the Omega SMP. My first Omega was the "James Bond" model blue wave dial 41mm SMP in the early nineties. I sold it to buy my first PO 2500. The PO did not work out, and by the time I went to buy a new SMP, they switched it to the smooth dial. Just not as appealing as the waves IMO. So I held even though I like the SMP hands a great deal more than the PO hands. My first instinct was to order the blue one, but upon seeing the grey/blue version on the strap, that was the one. Since this was Omega, I knew the July delivery date was not going to happen. I've waited long periods for some of my ordered Omega watches. These did make it in the year, which is pretty good for Omega, and by October, I had the SMP. The only thing I can ding on this watch is the buckle on the strap. Why oh why did Omega not use their excellent deployant? The rest of the watch was perfect IMO. The grey/blue SMP became my lifetime watch, 363.

Name:  IMG_2321.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  74.4 KBName:  IMG_2323.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  66.1 KBName:  IMG_2352.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  57.3 KBName:  IMG_2351.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  53.2 KB
    Last edited by Samanator; Dec 4, 2019 at 02:34 AM.
    Cheers,

Michael

8. Likes CFR, mlcor, JAGtime, iyonk, OhDark30 liked this post

I'll try to cap out 2018 in this thread.

Rather quickly near the end of October, Rob had to coordinate the launch party of the Topper Zodiac Treo quickly. We finished the designs for these watches, and most of the discussions back and forth nearly a year before this. The last thing we had heard was one of the design elements for the two Ralley divers was passed on by Zodiac. This was to have a full reverse lume on the bezel insert, so the white or yellow areas would have been lume masked off by the blue or black. At least the other element, the replica of the vintage models second hand, made it in. The reason to get the launch event moved up was Eric Singer was leaving for the start of the year and a half KISS final tour. At this point, only the prototypes were ready and not the production ones as we had hoped. When I flew out to San Fransisco, I learned that Rob had just flown to NY for a Bremont launch party. He got back the next day, so I got to hang out with his brother Russ. Saturday was jammed packed since we had to set up for the party, pick up Eric at the airport, and go to the press event and then the launch party. A few IWL members like Skywatch were there. The three were branded the Blue Ralley diver, The Taxi diver (Yellow and black), and the white wolf. All went off well. Since I had the most input on the blue Rally diver, that was what I ordered. After the event, I then made my way to the airport for a red-eye back to Florida. The watches did not make it here until nearly the summer. Make this lifetime watch 364.

Name:  IMG_0005.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  65.2 KBName:  IMG_0014.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  81.2 KBName:  IMG_0019.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  58.9 KBName:  IMG_0020.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  68.0 KBName:  IMG_0021.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  72.7 KB

While the previously mentioned Magma Edition G-Shock was the last watch of 2018, there was one more. I went to look at a few Rolex that my AD had in a while, helping a friend get Blue DateJust for her son. I looked at a two-tone Sky-Dweller, a black dialed Oyster Perpetual, a two-tone Yacht-Master (Rose gold and SS), and a Rodium dialed Yacht-Master. The TT Sky-Dweller case and dial combo did not work for me. It will be much better in the SA/WG with the black or white dial. I did not want to commit to the black dialed OP until I could see the white dialed version. I was back and forth between the two Yacht-Masters. The TT allowed me to create a look of the solid rose gold Yacht-Master if I put it on a black Rubber B strap. I decided to go with the more subtle Rodium dialed version, which to me, looked better on the wrist. Tag this as my lifetime watch 365.

Name:  56469984073__15D09DEB-3866-4CC2-B312-7AD43D72C1B6.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  63.1 KBName:  56470002499__9FF457D4-1E09-4D11-935B-63BF38456A86.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  72.4 KBName:  IMG_0130.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  55.7 KBName:  56693312990__28E72AB4-FDA4-4DD2-867F-DF478D639D40.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  73.6 KB
    Last edited by Samanator; Dec 7, 2019 at 10:00 AM.
    Cheers,

Michael

10. Likes mlcor, skywatch, iyonk, OhDark30 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    .... Saturday was jammed packed since we had to set up for the party, pick up Eric at the airport, and go to the press event and then the launch party. A few IWL members like Skywatch were there. The three were branded the Blue Ralley diver, The Taxi diver (Yellow and black), and the white wolf.

Name:  IMG_0019.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  58.9 KB

Indeed! That was fun. I was dearly tempted by the watches, but managed to resist, somehow. My wife did get to try on a lovely used JLC Duetto which I would have bought for her, if she could tolerate the diamond bling on the "day" side. Her distaste for blingy watches probably saved me $6000 that day.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

12. Likes tribe125, Samanator, mlcor, OhDark30 liked this post
    As it turns out, 2018 was the year of the G-Shock for me. With that being said, 2019 would have the be called the year I got back to Seiko and Grand Seiko. The brand had been absent from my collection for nearly three years. Understand there were times when I had 30-50 Seiko of various levels. In 2019 four grand Seiko and two Seiko models made their way to my home in Florida. I probably would have bought a few more except my advisor, who knows my tastes, for the most part, talked me out of a few. This would be the person selling them to me, Rob. OK, one of them I killed due to a specific feature that I've documented a few times as ruining a few Seikos.

One of the 2019 pickups is a reissue of my most favorite Seiko models ever. Seiko nailed it, including leaving out the feature that made the vintage version a nightmare to find a perfect functioning one. I will dedicate one full post just to this watch since It is easily my favorite pick up for the year.

Posts will be coming in the next few days.
    Cheers,

Michael

My first GS of 2019 was inspired by a Japanese painting technique called kira-zuri, which is best translated as "sparkling painting." The design of the gorgeous dial stays true to its concept, which is commonly found in ukiyo-e paintings to provide texture to the background of Kabuki actors. Or so that is the story Grand Seiko tells. All I know is the more I saw this watch, the more I wanted one. These were issued as the first US-only limited Edition GS. It comes on the bracelet along with two matching straps in blue and brown with matching blue stitching that matches the dial. For the straps, a very nice signed GS deployant is included. The hand-finished zaratsu-polished 44G case is something I did not appreciate until I received the watch. I thought this style of GS all had the same case, but boy was I wrong. The 44G case has so many little angles and changes in surfaces; it is so different. The dial I would describe is snowflake plus. While GS did issue a blue snowflake this year, these dials have more texture than the snowflake. Add the immaculately cut indexes and hands, the excellent Spring Drive movement, and a blued second hand. This a real looker IMO.

I generally keep one slot in my collection open for a dressy sports watch. Usually, the watch that is in that role has a short life in my collects(1-2 years or less). I have little time and use for dressy watches. There has been nothing wrong with the watches that have been in this role. Some of the past watches that I have had in this role were the Zenith black dial ultra-thin Elite, Rolex GV Milgauss, Omega CK2998, and last one in this role, the Topper Burlingame Nomos World Time. All excellent watches that I hardly wear. Then enter the Kira Zuri. I don't know why this is getting worn so much more, but I find myself reaching for it to wear more than many other watches. I've never had a dress watch, or at least what I call a dress watch, become so desirable for wrist time. It made it through several cuts this year when I need to have something go. It's never really has been considered as a candidate to leave. The funny thing is every one of my five-member friend's text watch group has this watch. Its appeal to many diehard sports watch fans, yet it is incredibly elegant.

I saw someone comment in a review that they see pin and collar sizing as the sign of a high end. They pointed to that Patek has them as their reason for this statement? Sorry I'll take screws any day of week, and twice on Sunday. Bracelets for me have always required some swapping back and forth to get them just right. I seem to have to do this more on GS than other watches. The pins and collars make this a bit more complicated. I see this as the only flaw in this watch.

Mark this as lifetime watch 366.

Name:  IMG_0890.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  55.3 KBName:  IMG_0892.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  57.7 KBName:  IMG_0893.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  54.2 KBName:  IMG_0894.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  45.0 KBName:  IMG_0895.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  65.4 KB
    Cheers,

Michael

15. Likes skywatch, JAGtime, mlcor, Cybotron liked this post
    I’ve seen that one live, it’s definitely spectacular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes Samanator liked this post