Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using photo apps on your phone's photos

Using photo apps on your phone's photos

I use Snapseed and Instagram and find that between them I can salvage the dreary photos taken by my phone. For example this morning my camera got very confused by the direct sunlight reflecting around my room, but I still got a nice enough picture in the end.

Original picture:

Cropped:

Made black and white:

Fiddled with by snapseed:

Fiddled with by instagram:

Snapseed allows you to not just alter the brightness and contrast and colour balance, but also do that just for small sections. In this one I tried to bring out the detail of the dial which had got a bit lost.

Instagram has not only its set filters but also has some of the same controls that snapseed has

(To make sure tapatalk / IWL presented the different size files in a uniform way, I then did a screenshot of each of the five photos, despite this reducing the picture quality)

2. Likes tempocalypse, scottjc, gnuyork liked this post
    Nice work! I like VSCO cam myself. It comes with a small but nice toolset and the presets are mostly very tasteful interpretations of old filmstock. The picture editing algorithms are also very good so you can push the images quite a bit without degrading quality. In fact a lot of the time I cant be bothered to boot up Lightroom on my mac for daily WRUW threads and so on, so I just wifi transfer pictures from my Fuji XT1 to my phone to send it quickly through VSCO.
    Instagram: @tempocalypse

4. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tempocalypse View Post
    Nice work! I like VSCO cam myself. It comes with a small but nice toolset and the presets are mostly very tasteful interpretations of old filmstock. The picture editing algorithms are also very good so you can push the images quite a bit without degrading quality. In fact a lot of the time I cant be bothered to boot up Lightroom on my mac for daily WRUW threads and so on, so I just wifi transfer pictures from my Fuji XT1 to my phone to send it quickly through VSCO.
    Is VSCO Apple / Android / both?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Is VSCO Apple / Android / both?
    Both. I discovered their app as I was already using their pricey but excellent film emulation presets for Lightroom and Photoshop.

https://vsco.co/vscocam

The app is free and has a nice set of included filters but others you need buy in app although they do have a few free downloadable ones too.

I use an iphone but I tried out an HTC for a little while in 2013. I didnt even consider trying an android phone until the VSCO app had been released for Android... thats how much I like this app
    Last edited by tempocalypse; Jun 1, 2015 at 02:34 PM.
    Instagram: @tempocalypse

7. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Just started playing around with Snapseed. Pretty cool.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

I use PhotoToaster and Camera+ myself. Pretty good apps. I like Snapseed as well but I don't use it that often.

Quote Originally Posted by tempocalypse View Post
    was wondering how you got that look...

I tend to use Photoshop for iphone. I like their image manipulation features - noise reduction, sharpness, highlights, temperature, tint etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ck1109 View Post
    I tend to use Photoshop for iphone. I like their image manipulation features - noise reduction, sharpness, highlights, temperature, tint etc.
    Didn't realize there was a PS for iPhone. I'll have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ck1109 View Post
    I use it on Android. Love the blemish removal tool. Works like magic.