The temps are dropping, the days are short, twinkling lights are everywhere, and the local radio station is playing “Jingle Bell Rock,” “White Christmas,” and literally nothing else. That’s right folks, the holidays are here. Since it’s the season of giving, and we know many of you are like us and need help figuring out that perfect gift, we thought it would be fun for Worn & Wound team members to share some holiday gift ideas. Over the coming days you’ll see suggestions in a range of price points and categories, with a few great selections from the Windup Watch Shop thrown in for good measure. Enjoy, and happy holidays!

Ah, the holidays are upon us. While I adore all the festivities and dedicated time with the family, I have to be honest — the whole gift-giving thing used to really stress me out. It still does to some degree! But in recent years, I’ve implemented a much more practical strategy to my gift-giving, and I’ve taken that approach with this guide: below are suggestions featuring things that I’ve actually used or things that I’ve personally purchased this year and still own. So if you need a new jacket, some stationery, or some easy-to-drink whisky, then I’m pretty sure I’ve got you covered.
Hill City Thermal Light Shirt Jacket

One of my favorite pieces of outerwear this fall has been my Hill City Thermal Light Shirt Jacket. One of its best qualities is right in the name: it’s light. Cold-weather clothes can be overly heavy, and it’s easy to rack up the pounds if you’re layering. As a commuter who carries a book bag and has a pretty long walk, I don’t like to be weighed down with heavy layers. This piece is insulated with PrimaLoft Gold Active+ (made from 55% post-consumer recycled material sourced from plastic bottles) and has a thin nylon exterior, so it offers that extra bit of protection against the cold without being cumbersome on the body. Plus, it breathes well, so I don’t have any issues regulating heat should the temperature fluctuate throughout the day. I went with the Navy, but there’s a handful of other colors that look just as good. If you’re looking for a nice fall jacket, and one that can possibly take you through the winter months in some parts of the country, then you’ll definitely want to check it out.

POGO Tritan 40oz Water Bottle

I’ve recently come to the realization that I have not been doing a good job at staying hydrated. I’m not overstating it; I’m even currently running an app on my phone that pings me every two hours to remind me to drink water. And, to be perfectly honest, that still hasn’t done the trick. What did work was buying a water bottle to keep at my desk, and the one I got? The POGO Tritan 40oz bottle. Nothing too fancy here. It’s BPA/BPS free, it has a leak-proof lid that actually works, and the built-in straw is way more convenient than a normal spout. It’s also easy to clean, which isn’t always the case with water bottles that have smaller necks. For around $10, it’s an inexpensive buy and honestly one of my favorite purchases of the last couple of months.

Muji Stationery

I adore well-done stationery, but I also think high quality pens and notebooks don’t have to be obscenely priced. One of my go-tos for great stationery is Japanese retailer Muji. They’ve got it all — pens, notebooks, planners, desk accessories and organizers, etc. You dream it, they sell it. Some of my favorites? For notebooks, I like the Plantation Paper Notebook set that comes in a pack of five. For pens, I adore this Hexagonal Aluminum Ball Point Pen, and I have a drawer of these Capped Gel-Ink Ball Point Pens.
Now, Muji doesn’t have too many locations across the US, but they have a relatively well-stocked US store, so you’ll be able to get everything you need there for some*great stocking stuffers.*

Nikka Coffey Malt Whisky

I’m going to make a confession right now: I’m not the biggest whisky fan. Many of the beloved go-tos are a bit too intense for me. That said, I’ve genuinely enjoyed sipping on the handful of Japanese whiskys that I’ve tried, and one of my favorites is the Nikka Coffey Malt Whisky. First things first, I have to thank Worn & Wound contributor Mark McArthur-Christie for turning me on to this one. It’s really smooth, light, and there’s a pleasant sweetness here that I really enjoy. Overall, it’s an easy drink and complex enough without being too overwhelming.
From the Windup Watch Shop: Worn & Wound Watch Roll

I’ve gone through all sorts of methods for transporting and storing my watches, and until I get my hands on our new watch box, my current go-to is still our watch roll. I love the practicality of the roll. It stores four watches, a strap changing tool, and it can squeeze in a few extra strap without issue. I throw it in a sock drawer at home, or in my book bag for when I’m on the go. I also adore the aesthetic. It looks like a Filson jacket gave birth to a watch roll. And because the materials develop a great patina over time, my personal rolls have only gotten better with age.

The post 2019 Holiday Gift Guide: Ilya’s Picks appeared first on Worn & Wound.

More...