Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How thick is too thick for you?

How thick is too thick for you?

I was thinking happy thoughts about the dimensions of the watch on my wrist. 40mm diameter, 10mm thick feels like a good substantial wodge of auto to me. It has a built up bezel and curved sapphire crystal - between them the equivalent of the nice domed acrylic crystals of yore - and a display back.

Then I looked up the thickness of the Seiko Cocktail Time: 13mm - and can't help but wonder where that extra 30% comes from (or why the watch buying public is unfussed by this trend)

Here are the thicknesses of three dressy Christopher Ward watches:

10.5mm - C65 Trident Classic (15ATM, SW200)
    12.5mm - C9 Big Day Date (2836)
    14.5mm - C9 (in house move with 5 Day PR)

Which suggests it's movements/complications, not WR, that accounts for the extra millimetres.
    Last edited by Der Amf; Jun 2, 2015 at 10:06 AM.

well was going to say Ed Miliband

but if we are talking watches about a zlatoust is as far as I would go
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    one night I dreamed I was locked in my fathers watch, with Ptolemy and twenty one ruby stars mounted on spheres and the primum mobile coiled and gleaming to the end of space and the notched spheres eating each other's rinds to the last tooth of time and the case closed - John Ciardi ...

https://emgwatches.com/
    http://www.instagram.com/iyonk_strap/
    http://wristwatchreview.co.uk/

ЖИЗНЬ НЕ ОСТАНАВЛИВАЕТСЯ, ПРОХОДИТ ТОЛЬКО ВРЕМЯ.
    Russian Watches

3. Likes ro63rto liked this post
    At 18mm, this is about as thick as I'm comfortable with:
    Name:  b2.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  64.6 KB

But, for 'daily' wear, around 12mm is my sweet spot:
    Name:  SMPSide.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  41.7 KB
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

I prefer about 10mm max, not including any crystal height. I might go thicker if I like the watch enough.

Ah, there it is....found this little list I made of movement thicknesses, which might be handy for this conversation

3.6mm ETA 2892
    3.9mm Miyoya 9015

4.1mm Omega 2500
    4.6mm ETA 2824 / SW200

5.3mm Seiko 6R15 (SARB065)
    5.5mm Omega 8500
    5.7mm Miyota 8215

6.0mm Rolex 3135
    6.0mm Seiko 9S65 (GS)

I can't find the height of the Chr Ward SH21. Lets assume its not less than 6mm

7. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    I'd say 12.5mm and less is about my upper comfort spot, but less is better. My GS hi-beat is 13mm and i'm constantly wanting it to be much thinner and a tad more elegant as a result

9. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
    I'd say 12.5mm and less is about my upper comfort spot, but less is better. My GS hi-beat is 13mm and i'm constantly wanting it to be much thinner and a tad more elegant as a result
    The only GS I've held in my sweaty mitt is a quartz SBGX061 (37mm x 10mm) and I often wonder how dismayed I will feel when I finally get to maul a SBGR053 (37mm x 13.3mm)

11. Likes Steppy liked this post
    Really does make a huge difference, my Aqua Terra is 38.5mm x 12.5mm and its profile is completely different, a far more elegant and enjoyable watch to wear.

My Spring Drive GS is 39mm x 12mm and it is in my eyes and wrist - size perfection

13. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Really does make a huge difference, my Aqua Terra is 38.5mm x 12.5mm and its profile is completely different, a far more elegant and enjoyable watch to wear.

My Spring Drive GS is 39mm x 12mm and it is in my eyes and wrist - size perfection
    Yeah I don't feel that my AT is too thick at all. My tag was a bit - it used to get stuck in my sleeves when I put my jacket on. That was like 16mm thick
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

15. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    I was just putting my 37mm manual Seiko alongside my 12.5mm thick Nivrel, and trying to imagine something 37mm x 13.3mm. Trying and failing And I thought how unenthusiastic I would be about anything thicker than 12.5mm

I'm aware that domed crystals make a big difference. I've two 42mm watches, one 11.5 with a flat crystal, the other 12.5 with a dome. The difference is only slight.

Just found that the manual wind SBGW031 and 035 are 36mm x 11.5mm

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Yeah I don't feel that my AT is too thick at all. My tag was a bit - it used to get stuck in my sleeves when I put my jacket on. That was like 16mm thick
    I just checked out the Rolex 36mm OP - 12mm thick (that's not from Rolex's own website, just a forum post). See no reason why the forthcoming 39mm should be any thicker