Likes Likes:  792
Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Astronomy

Hybrid View

Astronomy

Space is pretty cool. Anyone onto it? A telescope is on my ever expanding want list.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

2. Likes popoki nui, -JP, hayday liked this post
    I suppose you could say I'm into it. Since about 1970, when I had my first look through a telescope....which happened to be the 1.8m Plaskett telescope at the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory here in Victoria (and the same observatory where I'm now fortunate enough to offer that same wonderful experience with people of all ages).
    Name:  DAO4 copy.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  344.1 KBName:  DAO1 copy.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  46.1 KBName:  ClassicObs5 2.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  17.9 KB
    I remember my reaction when I looked through this massive telescope. We can't look directly through the scope anymore, so we use smaller ones for our visitors to look through. I just love seeing the same reaction I had so many years ago, on the faces of our visitors now. Especially the little ones.
    Yep...space is definitely cool.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    I ... We can't look directly through the scope anymore....~Sherry.
    Why is that?

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

5. Likes Samanator liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperami View Post
    Wow, really think you've found your calling tempocalypse!

First thing that occurred to me, is the very thing that helps grow oranges in Florida looks looks so like one

Keep then coming mate...amazing images!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Haha, you're not the first to point that out!

Looking through the eye piece though it actually appears a rich ruby red. However usually imaging in hydrogen alpha band is done in monochrome (or converted to monochrome as in my case) for processing and then false colour is injected afterward. Most people go for an orange colour as it would give better contrast than red.

Quote Originally Posted by stew77 View Post
    WOW!...those shots are incredibly amazing, and absolutely stunning Tempo!!!

Unbelievably clear shots captured from the ground!!!
    Thanks a lot! Lot of bad weather these days again unfortunately
    Instagram: @tempocalypse

7. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    I ... We can't look directly through the scope anymore....~Sherry.

Why is that?
    It's a research telescope, so the tailpiece of the scope is crowded with spectrographs and CCD imaging equipment. Actually, there *is* an eyepiece jammed up in amongst all th electronic imaging gear; used with a little pick-off mirror for centering targets to be imaged. It's tricky to get to without bumping one's head into all sorts of sharp things. Way back in the 70's, they used that eyepiece for public outreach evenings because there were fewer boxes and wires and hoses attached to the telescope. That eyepiece is where my own astronomical odyssey began. But now it's just too awkward to let the public use it.
    It's worked out for the best. Back in the day, everyone lined up for a look thru the eyepiece that lasted a few seconds before the next visitor took their turn. Now, we just use one of the CCD cameras to shoot a galaxy or nebula, and project the image onto a screen so everyone can see the object at once, for longer than a few seconds.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

Too bad. There is nothing as cool as stepping up to a machine the size of a building and pressing your eye to an eyecup for a peek downrange.

Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    It's a research telescope, so the tailpiece of the scope is crowded with spectrographs and CCD imaging equipment. .... Now, we just use one of the CCD cameras to shoot a galaxy or nebula, and project the image onto a screen so everyone can see the object at once, for longer than a few seconds.

~Sherry.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

10. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    I love space and have an old telescope (not as big as Sherry's) that gets used sometimes. Clouds and light polution are a problem where I am.
    There's nothing important to read here.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin63 View Post
    I love space and have an old telescope (not as big as Sherry's) that gets used sometimes. Clouds and light polution are a problem where I am.
    True story: the last three times I've moved, I asked the real estate agent to show me houses for sale only in places where there were no streetlights (or malls, traffic lights etc). I got funny looks. Seems most peole are afraid of the dark and want to live in brightly-lit places. I had to explain that I'm not a vampire or a whacko or some sort, and that like my light to come from stars, not streetlights. I'm pretty sure they didn't really understand.
    It's pretty cloudy here, too. Not much I can do about that, except whine and stomp around and drink vats of Merlot. Such is the life of an astronomer.

13. Likes Colin63, geoffbot, Chase, gnuyork liked this post
    This is where I am going on holiday this year. Just need clear skies.

http://www.exmoor-nationalpark.gov.u...-do/stargazing
    There's nothing important to read here.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin63 View Post
    This is where I am going on holiday this year. Just need clear skies.

http://www.exmoor-nationalpark.gov.u...-do/stargazing
    Looks great! I hope you get clear skies and a wonderful holiday under the night sky. Looks like a good place to try a little astrophotography.