Likes Likes:  83
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite "Stainless steel sports watch"?

My pick won’t surprise anybody. Beautiful, comfortable and versatile. The bracelet is a double butterfly, but with a slick, easy to use micro adjustment feature. Plus it comes with leather and rubber straps that can be swapped out in seconds without tools. I’ve had the Overseas and the APRO. The latter is an excellent piece, but it’s not the one that’s still in my collection.

Name:  6F6E1D0B-E35F-4784-BCB7-50882BDE3515.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  66.8 KB

Honorable mention goes to my Hulk and my Railmaster.

Name:  9FF256DE-08EA-4E50-9314-9EB238CE038B.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  53.3 KB

Name:  C1387642-8762-4E4C-893E-E12D5B432878.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  71.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by FSM71 View Post
    A stainless steel sports watch with a blue dial is not only a classic but it seems to me (subjectively, I admit) to being the ideal candidate in a 'one watch' scenario. At least this was the reasoning behind my choice of DJ2 as my Rolex

Attachment 92540
    One of the best versions of the DJ in my opinion
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

3. Likes crownpuller, synequano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    Likewise, really like the Ingenieur; but it's 3rd in line for me after these:

Top of the list...
    Attachment 92558

Tried one on a couple of years ago and it's just 'so right' ... one day.

Then there's this...
    Attachment 92560

Small, but beautifully formed.

Perfect choices
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

5. Likes crownpuller, synequano liked this post
    While I tried not getting caught up in the semantics of the category, I think the term “sport” is used too broadly and doesn’t adequately describe this segment of watches. I think this category originally described watches with more robust functions than dress watches: materials, water resistance, and shock resistance, which rendered them larger and thicker. With those gaps essentially closed, a more definitive distinction should be made between true tool watches and these, which are essentially dress pieces made more versatile. This, of course, ignores the puritanical view a dress piece should be smaller/thinner and on leather. That rule has become antiquated, if only in practice.

I don’t think watches in this segment necessarily warrant a folding clasp. They aren’t typically used for athletic endeavors requiring such security, and IMO, a well executed butterfly will be more comfortable and look more refined. I would call attention to such seamless clasps as the BP and Cartier. The new Zodiac jubilee is also a handsome integration. That said, some obviously prefer the extra security and aesthetic of a folding clasp, and that’s fine. I wonder, if more manufacturers created butterflies with micro-adjustment, if we’d see less use of folding clasps.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    So we’re talking non-diver, non-chronograph? Hmm, I’m going to have to think on this. Instinctively, I’d say Royal Oak, but my favorite Royal Oak is the chronograph. Maybe the Rolex OP39 or Explorer edges out the AP for me. Do GMTs count in the sports watch category, or are we strictly talking no bezels?
    Though the watches listed are not, I did not see anything eschewing chronographs in the mix, so your AP may be apt. That's one of my favorites too, if it was available at the same discount level as the VC, I'd own it.

Blog Entries
    I really don't get along well with bracelets, so the idea of an integrated bracelet is a non-starter for me. So while I would happily take an APRO, VC Overseas or PP Nautilus as a gift, I probably wouldn't chose to buy one, and I certainly wouldn't use one for "sport". There is one classic sport watch that was designed for sport - the JLC Reverso, but other than that I could imagine buying a new Explo 1 39mm 214270

Name:  JLC-ReversoDayNight.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  33.6 KB

Name:  rolex-explorer-i-stainless-steel-black-arabic-index-39mm-3-6-9-new-lume-dial-oyster-bracelet-214.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  50.0 KB
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

tribe put it more diplomatically, but this thread is talking somewhat brittle, horrifically overpriced steel jewellery. I nominate GS heritage line, specifically 44GS case and spring drive movement. These watches actually pass as jewellery, with commensurate finishing and polish that dress up beautifully with shirts and suits, with sporting credentials and a worthy movement. Comfort is compromised but passable.

To illustrate the durability of these "sports watches" and exactly why we need quotation marks around that term, mine just got a bezel scrape and possibly a ding while washing my hands in a basin.

Name:  BC281F65-3B57-46C3-8236-81FB4FF3A0D6_1_201_a.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  72.1 KB

The Concord Mariner is another model that is not as popular as the others on the list but it certainly keeps the spirit of the AP RO/PP Nautilus.
    I have tried it on at the local Movado Outlet and it's ok for the price.
    Name:  concord-mariner-blue-cobalt_rectangle.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  42.8 KB

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

11. Likes Fantasio, Rdenney, wschofield3, synequano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post

Name:  JLC-ReversoDayNight.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  33.6 KB
    This gets my vote...as I mentioned in another thread, I would have NEVER considered this watch, but after actually trying one on (in the London airport with a wait for a layover) I can't shake it. It was so different to what I normally like, but yet it felt and looked so right on my wrist. A Rolex Explorer II (5 digit reference) was top on my list, but the JLC may knock it to the #2 spot (maybe).

13. Likes Fantasio, skywatch, wschofield3, synequano liked this post

What is your favorite "Stainless steel sports watch"?

To me, a luxury sport watch is one you can wear on the deck of your weekend sport-fishing boat, while hauling in a tuna and barking orders at your staff (the boat’s captain and the deckhand). They need a bracelet, enough water resistance to survive bow spray and a brief dunking, and daily wearability.

Nobody would wear a Calatrava or a Tank (at least on a strap) for doing that. And eschewing the watch that defines this category (a Rolex—any Rolex), along with specifically divers, these might be seen there:

But all these also fit the category:

All of them were marketed as “sport” or “marine” watches.

Which is my favorite? Impossible to determine. At the moment, it’s the Ulysse Nardin Marine Chronometer, but that’s just a matter of mood.

I LOVe the new Zenith Defy, and I love the VC Overseas. That Concord Mariner on bracelet with the blue dial had me contemplating a trip to my local MCS, too. But it can’t be a favorite if I don’t own it.

Rick “who has an ad showing a pre-downfall Charlie Sheen wearing an Ebel 1911 Senior while posing in muddy sand-lot baseball garb” Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; Dec 16, 2019 at 06:16 PM.
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.