Likes Likes:  58
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Omega Dynamic

Omega Dynamic

I remember this watch being in the Omega store in Aventura Florida back on October 25, 2003. Why such an exact date? My now wife had come back from 6 months away in Chicago helping her sister. She was originally going to stay in Chicago, but had come back to Florida. When, I found she was back I invited her out to diner at a place of her choice for her birthday. She wanted to return a watch she bought to Macy's while we went to diner later at the Cheese Cake Factory in the Mall. I saw the fashion watch she was returning and I said I should buy her a real watch for her birthday. We wound up in the Omega store and she choose a ladies SMP for her watch. While there, the salesman showed me the Dynamic in the case. I always though it was kind of cool. The reason I remember the date was after diner we went back to my house and watched the Marlins beat the Yankees for the world series. It seem like a good omen even though I'm not much of a baseball fan anymore. She moved in the following weekend, and we were engaged a few months later. I can always google that event to remember the date. So I have good memories of this watch and that night.

Some of the most collectable watches may not have been so popular in their time. I read that Rolex could hardly give away the panda dialed Daytona that was referred to as the Paul Newman watch. Now $17.8M later I would say that has changed. The Dynamic's were in the stores for a while after they were canceled. Their exclusivity may make them even more collectable with time. Congrats Alan. Well done!
    Last edited by Samanator; Dec 17, 2019 at 08:59 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

2. Likes iyonk, JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I tend to agree--unless you run into another watch lover. No one has ever commented on any watch I've worn, except one--a hygienist at the dentist's office who liked my (not particularly expensive) WUS tourbillon...

The trick with more expensive watches is to just wear them anyway--no point in worrying about dings. As you said, if it makes you smile, regardless of the price, wear it. Otherwise what's the point of having it? It's not like they're paintings to be hung on a wall...
    My Explorer II has a few marks and I've more than once have scrubbed latex paint off of it with a tooth brush. I wear it working on cars and bikes all the time. I do the same (Except for the painting) with my titanium PO.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

4. Likes mlcor, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    I remember this watch being in the Omega store in Aventura Florida back on October 25, 2003.

That’s interesting, because that’s four years after they were discontinued. You could have got a very good price on that. The salesman must have been showing it to everyone, especially if he had a few more out the back.

These days, with a better developed grey/secondary market, you might be less likely to find a similar sales dud in an AD showroom.

The Dynamic might be a watch that was only going to appeal to enthusiasts, and only once they had become relatively scarce. Certainly, a lot of us passed up the opportunity to buy one when they were new.

The Daytona is something else, though - a very strange phenomenon. It almost seems that its appeal is an illusion based on scarcity alone. The Newman Daytona still looks humdrum to me, and the Newman association doesn’t add anything.

6. Likes iyonk liked this post
    The watch looks wonderful on the wrist for sure with a great strap they have matched perfectly for it (usually a fault line with many makers who just don't get it right in that dept )
    If I remember correctly the gen 1 were the biggest sellers of their time , I do remember definitely with the gen 3 in quite recent times. they were a little shunned if that is the correct word by Omegafans , like everything times and tastes change and common sense prevails
    A beautiful watch for sure ps I was never one of the haters!!!

8. Likes tribe125, iyonk liked this post
    Congrats. mate. Very nice, great catch, cheers

Wonderful watch and a very interesting read, thank you. Looks like a good addition to your family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro