Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Bulova AccuSwiss Murren chronograph?

Bulova AccuSwiss Murren chronograph?

Anybody know of or have experience with this watch? Really like the look, but can't find many details on it. I'm not usually a fan of companies like Bulova, Hamilton and Ball pushing the accomplishments of long-dead American companies, but I do admit they make some nice watches now. I guess I need to get past my problems.

Anyway, any comments?

Just my thoughts - that's not a bad looking watch - BUT....
    As a kid I spent a fair amount of time with both sets of grandparents. Now my maternal grandfather was (by the time I came along) quite "low on the income scale", and my paternal grandfather invested every penny he could. Both men wore the cheapest watches I had ever seen. If a kid can recognize them as cheap you have to figure that they must have looked pretty bad. And, of course, they were both Bulovas. (I think this is also when first I developed a revulsion for Speidel Twist-o-flex bracelets too. Stuff grows in those they haven't got names for)

Anyway, when I see that watch has a 2500 price tag on Amazon I just can't justify that. I know that the watch is priced 'reasonably' but I just keep thinking that it should be around 200 bucks. Tops. Nothing I can do to overcome the Bulova image imprinted deeply on my brain cell.

Then I think that that mesh could hold almost as many dead, sweaty, granny skin cells as a Speidel. Oh, the horror of it all.

3. Likes rfortson liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    Just my thoughts - that's not a bad looking watch - BUT....
    As a kid I spent a fair amount of time with both sets of grandparents. Now my maternal grandfather was (by the time I came along) quite "low on the income scale", and my paternal grandfather invested every penny he could. Both men wore the cheapest watches I had ever seen. If a kid can recognize them as cheap you have to figure that they must have looked pretty bad. And, of course, they were both Bulovas. (I think this is also when first I developed a revulsion for Speidel Twist-o-flex bracelets too. Stuff grows in those they haven't got names for)

Anyway, when I see that watch has a 2500 price tag on Amazon I just can't justify that. I know that the watch is priced 'reasonably' but I just keep thinking that it should be around 200 bucks. Tops. Nothing I can do to overcome the Bulova image imprinted deeply on my brain cell.

Then I think that that mesh could hold almost as many dead, sweaty, granny skin cells as a Speidel. Oh, the horror of it all.
    Come on, Donf, you know Bulova made some nice watches, too. It's dumb, but I do have a problem with the brand (same as Hamilton and Ball, as I said). However, without the name on the dial, I'd say it's a nice watch with a decent movement. MSRP is about right, but I haven't seen it gray market anywhere so I don't know what the "market" price really is. I'm guessing around $1500-$1600, but who knows.

I'm not sure who owns Bulova now. I know they've been trying to move up the ladder a bit, and this AccuSwiss line seems to be their latest attempt. Not sure I'm buying it, but I really like the look. Oh well, if I buy it, I'll buy it knowing that I've spent money on stupider things.

Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    I'm not sure who owns Bulova now.
    Citizen
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

6. Likes rfortson liked this post
    I know they did (would'nt mind an old Accutron Tuning Fork, for that matter), but the image is just too ingrained in my head. Just a knee jerk reaction when I see one.
    And it is related to my childhood - I would spend a month or two most summers with my mom's parents. My grandmother was brain damaged (really) and my granddad was very old and very odd - and they were very poor. It oozed from every corner of their house. I have a number of other things related to those times I just can't shake. I'd see a shrink but it would cut into watch money - I may be weird but I have priorities.

8. Likes Colin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Citizen
    Don't tell Raza

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Don't tell Raza
    Oh, I know. Precisionist movements are designed and made by Citizen.

I just don't want a watch with the Citizen brand name on it. It makes me feel cheap and sleazy, and like I'm a bad father.

Some of their Accutron models are very well made and a good value for the $ IMHO.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Quite a nice looking watch !
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

Isn't Accutron just a name these days? From HAQ/HEQ thread turned out, that Precitionist is not the one of them. In the days when other watches ran +/- 30sec/day Bulova's +/- 10 sec gave them a reason to use "Accu" - part, but nowadays you can get 200 m WR Radio controlled Citizen with bunch of features, like STW, Multi-time zones, Alarms and calendars for the price of three hand +date Bulova Accutron.

Nice classy looking watch. What I do dislike, though, is lack of minute and second markers.
    Last edited by BlackNomad; Jun 8, 2015 at 04:28 AM.

"Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of travelling." Margaret Lee Runbeck.