Likes Likes:  57
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flieger thoughts

Flieger thoughts

Been musing on fliegers, thanks to a couple of recent posts

Please add your thoughts
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

2. Likes rodia77, synequano liked this post
    My first Ďseriousí watch was a Poljot Aviator

The very first version of this watch was a replica of the Fortis Flieger, and caused a lawsuit as Fortis defended their IP

I first saw the Aviator I (my model) in flying magazines of the 90s, and bought mine about 7 years ago

It is very legible, with great lume, and the modern font and orange second hand lift it from being Ďjust another fliegerí

Inspired by a review on WUS, I then bought a Fortis Pilot Pro, which I soon sold

I found the additional 5 minute markings unnecessary, and the overall more refined finish than the Aviator didnít sit so well with the toolish vibe, for me
    The big killer though, was the flat lugs: more faithful to the original design, but making it sit awkwardly high on my wrist

I also knowingly bought this franken to affordably try out a B dial
    And found it too cluttered for me :-)

4. Likes rodia77 liked this post

Flieger thoughts

So thatís my flieger history, and Iím interested to hear yours:
    whether itís a style thatís grown on you, or youíve always loved or loathed

Personally the Ďauthenticityí cult mystifies me, with pronouncements about size, riveted straps and the like (those forum folk with collections of several apparently identical fliegers :-)

And I share Razaís queasiness about the veneration of the original 5 flieger brands

Iíd like to take away the design positives and look to a future not afraid to innovate and develop future watches

Over to you!

6. Likes rodia77, Raza liked this post
    This Laco, with the ETA movement, is a planned purchase, probably four years down the road.

Name:  Laco Paderborn.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  41.8 KB
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

8. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    This Laco, with the ETA movement, is a planned purchase, probably four years down the road.

Name:  Laco Paderborn.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  41.8 KB
    Nice
    What speaks to you about this particular model? And the B dial?

My first was the Archimede chronograph, and for the $$, it had amazing fit and finish. I compared it to a Stowa and the Archimede was much better, and the Stowa owner concurred.

Name:  Archimede1.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  63.9 KB

Recently, I purchased a Tourby and that was even better, again, comparing the fit and finish to a friends IWC, and both of us thought it equal, but the Tourby obviously costs way less.

Name:  Tourby Saturday.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  178.4 KB

Bottom line, and IMHO, those are the two to aim for at different price points.

11. Likes iyonk, OhDark30, synequano liked this post
    I'd love a LACO...in 39mm.

13. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    I wouldnít look beyond a Stowa - and twice, I havenít. JŲrg Schauer was the person who brought the watch out of history (before IWC) and that adds depth and interest for me.

As Iíve said elsewhere, I have no problem with a watch based on that of a German pilot. Had I met him, I would probably have had no problem with the pilot either, unless he started to espouse the doctrine of his government. These are functional objects not emblems of an ideology. Theyíre in the domain of watchmaking, as a Messerschmitt is in the domain of aircraft design.

And how come nobodyís much bothered about the Panerai Radiomir? No, I donít get the queasiness at all. Itís like a misfiring allergic reaction.

15. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    I'm fond of my Stowa LE. Simple, legible, great lume, perfect size for me (40mm x 10.2mm). I don't really care about pure authenticity, I just like the design in a practical size.

Name:  Stowa Flieger LE December 2017.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  57.1 KB

17. Likes JAGtime, OhDark30, synequano liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if people consider the Glycine Airman as a Flieger? Or the Rolex GMT for that matter? Is it specifically limited to WWII Type A or B dials? My father was in the Air Force in the 1950s, and was a private pilot for many years. He preferred a Glycine-licensed quartz Falcon "Combat" with 24 hour dial. (Photo on a different computer - I'll upload it later.)

I have only the Stowa Ikarus for a purist flieger, and it's hardly purist with its grey dial. I find "perfect and pure" fliegers to be a bit boring. I have had a few and sold them all. (I can also find pictures of those, eventually.)

As for the association with Nazis in WWII, that's a very problematic topic. What about Volkswagon or Porche? Werner von Braun working for NASA? So many difficult transitions. When Nomos helped revive the watch industry in Glashutte, I imagine they had a wealth of transition stories from the elders working under Soviet-dominated GUB, rebuilt after all their good machines were trucked off to Moscow or Donbass. It's clear that many companies benefit from war, on either side of the front. I try to imagine the human stories of those individuals just trying to survive while the empires rotate around them.

Ikarus and Airman (not purist Fliegers, I realize)

Too many watches, not enough wrists.

19. Likes OhDark30, gnuyork, synequano, ck1109 liked this post