Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rado Captain Cook 1962 reissue. 37mm or 40mm?

Rado Captain Cook 1962 reissue. 37mm or 40mm?

I know several of you have this watch but who likes the 37mm vs. 40mm and why? Iím hankering after one and would appreciate your thoughts.

Also I understand the 37mm limited edition on the strap has a different dial than the regular version on bracelet. But does anyone know what the differences are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

I thought the choices were either 37 or 42?

I donít think so. Reviews I read referred to 40mm and I checked quickly the listings at Jomashop. 40mm also.

If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

Quote Originally Posted by WWII70 View Post
    I donít think so. Reviews I read referred to 40mm and I checked quickly the listings at Jomashop. 40mm also.

Hmm. Well, Iím sure our resident Rado experts will chime in. Theyíre definitely cool looking. I would be sorely tempted by the green dial version if it were a 40mm...

I also thought the choices were 37, 42 or 45mm...

On the question of the difference between the limited edition dial and the standard dial in 37mm, the standard dial is much darker, nearly black and if it has a sunburst pattern, it is not noticeable in the display case. The Basle World limited edition has a much lighter, almost faded dial, with 'fauxpatina' aged lume. The effect is much more subtle and 'warmer' than the standard dial which I find cold and harsh by comparisson. (But then I am used to my limited edition dial.)

2 other limited editions have since been released. One is 'ghosted' (sort of greyed-out) and I think was only for the Australian market. I don't care for it. The other has an even more faded dial than the Basle World limited edition, but this new limited edition includes a 'real' synthetic ruby behind the anchor logo on the dial in place of a red anodised aluminium disc. I really wish this had been on the Basle World limited edition. That version's slightly darker, richer dial, combined with the 'vintage' ruby would have been bl**dy near perfect!
    I'd Schwarzkopf it daily, except I couldn't be bothered with the inevitable explanations...

Quote Originally Posted by WWII70 View Post
    I don’t think so. Reviews I read referred to 40mm and I checked quickly the listings at Jomashop. 40mm also.

Can you share any links with us? If the green dial version is indeed available in 40mm, I too would be interested as Mlcor is. I'd love a Rolex Hulk but even if they were easily obtainable, I couldn't justify the purchase. A green Captain Cook in 40mm with a ceramic bezel would be very effective at scratching that itch!
    Last edited by FSM71; Dec 29, 2019 at 06:47 AM.
    I'd Schwarzkopf it daily, except I couldn't be bothered with the inevitable explanations...

I'm no Rado expert but I believe there is 37, 42, and 45. I think your best bet is to try them on and see what works best for you. I personally would go for the 42mm
    Cheers,

Richard

Well I seem to be completely off base on this. The Jomashop listings for the larger models do say 45mm. Put it down to late night research and posting! My apologies.

Anyway, what do people think about the 37.3mm limited edition compared to the larger sizes. It would be great to hear opinions from Henry and Michael and others.

Quote Originally Posted by FSM71 View Post
    On the question of the difference between the limited edition dial and the standard dial in 37mm, the standard dial is much darker, nearly black and if it has a sunburst pattern, it is not noticeable in the display case. The Basle World limited edition has a much lighter, almost faded dial, with 'fauxpatina' aged lume. The effect is much more subtle and 'warmer' than the standard dial which I find cold and harsh by comparisson. (But then I am used to my limited edition dial.)
    Thanks for this. Very helpful.

How do you find the size of the LE?

The 42 which is actually measured apparently at the edge of the bezel since the case is 38mm. Even Joma lists it at 42:

https://www.jomashop.com/rado-captai...hoCkBMQAvD_BwE

My wallet and brain chose this one. It is spectacular in green.

Name:  IMG_0159.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  69.0 KBName:  IMG_0023.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  77.8 KB
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

11. Likes FSM71, JAGtime, hayday, Strela167 liked this post