Likes Likes:  276
Page 34 of 73 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Who died in 2020

Who died in 2020

And it’s not a new phenomenon: there were medieval Christians reputed to be holy enough neither to eat or drink

Often women (known as miraculous maids), nowadays we’d probably code them as suffering from anorexia

St Catherine of Sienna was one
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorexia_mirabilis

More recently, the Victorians had ‘fasting girls’, again young women who neither ate nor drank, and again reputed to have spiritual gifts
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasting_girl

I’d heard of the Welsh one, Sarah Jacob
    (my parents bought me the Readers Digest book of Strange Stories and Amazing Facts as a kid, so I’ve lots of half-remembered bits of weird info like this)

She starved to death under medical observation
    (She’d previously been sneaking small amounts of food, which she couldn’t when observed
    The medics said she was dying and should eat. Her parents refused, saying they’d seen her like this before)
    Last edited by OhDark30; May 30, 2020 at 07:47 AM.
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

Who died in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    And it’s not a new phenomenon: there were medieval Christians reputed to be holy enough neither to eat or drink

Often women (known as miraculous maids), nowadays we’d probably code them as suffering from anorexia

St Catherine of Sienna was one
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorexia_mirabilis

More recently, the Victorians had ‘fasting girls’, again young women who neither ate nor drank, and again reputed to have spiritual gifts
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasting_girl

(my parents bought me the Readers Digest book of Strange Stories and Amazing Facts as a kid, so I’ve lots of half-remembered bits of weird info like this)

(She’d previously been sneaking small amounts of food, which she couldn’t when observed
    The medics said she was dying and should eat. Her parents refused, saying they’d seen her like this before)
    There’s a lot of skepticism about Prahlad Jani and two “scientific” studies were never published and have been widely debunked.

From Wikipedia
    Two observational studies of Jani have been conducted, one in 2003 and one in 2010, both involving Dr. Sudhir Shah, a neurologist at the Sterling Hospitals in Ahmedabad, India, who had studied people claiming to have exceptional abilities, including other fasters such as Hira Ratan Manek. In both cases the investigators confirmed Jani's ability to survive healthily without food and water during the testing periods, although neither study was submitted to a scientific journal. When questioned six days into the 2010 experiment, the DRDO spokesperson announced that the study's findings would be "confidential" until results were established. Uninvolved doctors and other critics have questioned the validity of the studies and stated their belief that, although people can survive for days without food or water, it is not possible to survive for years, especially since glucose, a substrate critical to brain function, is not provided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

3. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    That's the next step after you've gone through flat earthatarianism.

5. Likes OhDark30, Henry Krinkle liked this post

Who died in 2020

This book? I had the same one as a kid! I read it over and over again. I still have it somewhere but my kids don’t read it.

If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

7. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Yes, and I was the same - there was just so much bizarre info in it

Mine had this cover
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

Who died in 2020

Mine had this cover
    Mine did too! I probably got it around 1975

Blog Entries
    For you Trekkies, Richard Herd died on May 26, 2020. He played Adm. Paris, father of Tom Paris on Voyager. He sort of looked like Karl Mauldin, but not quite. He played many roles over his acting career. RIP.

Dan

12. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by WWII70 View Post
    There’s a lot of skepticism about Prahlad Jani and two “scientific” studies were never published and have been widely debunked.

From Wikipedia
    Two observational studies of Jani have been conducted, one in 2003 and one in 2010, both involving Dr. Sudhir Shah, a neurologist at the Sterling Hospitals in Ahmedabad, India, who had studied people claiming to have exceptional abilities, including other fasters such as Hira Ratan Manek. In both cases the investigators confirmed Jani's ability to survive healthily without food and water during the testing periods, although neither study was submitted to a scientific journal. When questioned six days into the 2010 experiment, the DRDO spokesperson announced that the study's findings would be "confidential" until results were established. Uninvolved doctors and other critics have questioned the validity of the studies and stated their belief that, although people can survive for days without food or water, it is not possible to survive for years, especially since glucose, a substrate critical to brain function, is not provided.

We had a cat. When one of our other cats died, he stopped peeing. Took him in. They did everything. They were squeezing bags of saline solution into him and they could not collect a sample. Ultrasounds showed his bladder was the size of a walnut and yet he was apparently absorbing litres of liquids without peeing. A scientific miracle!

Nope. Cracker was also a player. Under constant supervision and without being caught he was convincing vet students to let him out and then he would pee in unknown corners of the University's huge veterinary facilities. A slightly more complex Occam's razor: the simplest solution, that the cat was still peeing, was true, despite days worth of evidence to the contrary.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

14. Likes boatme99, skywatch, OhDark30 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WWII70 View Post

From Wikipedia

Oh yeah, it’s total nonsense.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking