Likes Likes:  129
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me find an Explorer

Help me find an Explorer

Rather than thread-jack the Random Watch thread, I thought I'd just create a new one...

I'm looking to get a Rolex Explorer, ref. 214270, hopefully by March when I turn 50. I'm fine with pre-owned since I may have an easier time finding one and I like the idea of saving a few bucks. I've done some basic research, but I'm only scratching the surface. A few of you have offered suggestions, and they are greatly appreciated. So, per the websites of two Rolex ADs, one in Maine and one in Montreal (Montreal is a five hour drive, a really cool city, and I may do ok with the exchange rate), a new Explorer retails for $6550. Jomashop has a new Explorer listed at $7995 and a used one for $5995. What are the chances of getting a new Explorer for $6550 from an AD? I will NOT buy a one new from a grey market dealer if that's the mark-up. I'm impatient, but I can outlast that mark-up. I may grow too impatient, however, and grab that used one from Jomashop if I can't find one from an AD.

Thoughts?

Name:  0-1.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  41.5 KB
    Last edited by hayday; Jan 7, 2020 at 01:27 AM.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Funny. I just saw a 1016 on IG today, and now I really want an Explorer. Would love to have a vintage 1016, but that's not realistic right now...

Not sure if they are available at ADs now, but I definitely would not pay the grey markup. Didn't I read recently the Rolex supply is starting to come around? If they aren't at the AD, maybe get on a list, surely the wait can't be like the Sub or the GMT.
    Last edited by gnuyork; Jan 7, 2020 at 12:39 AM.

3. Likes hayday liked this post
    Blog Entries
    What is a vintage 1016? Is that the old movement? I had an original movement before:

Name:  Rolex_Bros_B.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  44.2 KB

Sadly, I went yawn and traded it on an JLC Master Moon. Such is the way of watches.

Dan

5. Likes hayday, is that my watch, OhDark30 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    While I won't pretend to know an answer, I suspect patience could be a good skill right now. Even with a birthday coming, you could simply "sequester" your birthday fund for the watch until the watch appears. I am saying this as a fellow lover of the new Explorer - I just don't like the luxury bubble right now. I think it's silly. I strongly suspect there will be another dip in the economy soon enough, and we are so quick to forget the last ones. Just keep the funds in a liquid account, and wait until the the right watch comes at the right price. Maybe it will be a few years. I am expecting to wait that long, I suspect.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

7. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan R View Post
    What is a vintage 1016? Is that the old movement? I had an original movement before:

Name:  Rolex_Bros_B.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  44.2 KB

Sadly, I went yawn and traded it on an JLC Master Moon. Such is the way of watches.

Dan
    1016 is the reference... and considered vintage at this point.

yeah ran from 1963 to 1989
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Help me find an Explorer

I’d say start with the ADs first and tell them you’re purchasing for a significant event and would like to get it by a certain date.
    See what they say. (They may ask for a token deposit though.)

Both me and my friend used this strategy with my local AD in seattle (goldfarb) and they were able to get me an EXP 1 in a month and he got the new BLRO GMT in ~4 months.

The used exp1 that you see on jomashop - is that the current gen 214270 or the previous gen 214270(no lume on 3-6-9). The previous gen exp 1 are selling for under 6k and there are many of them for sale on WatchRecon, from good sellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ck1109; Jan 7, 2020 at 10:45 AM.

11. Likes hayday liked this post
    I remember the days when you could walk in to a dealer and all the models were available. Times have certainly changed. I know I said this before you either wait it out with an AD, or buy pre-owned.
    I'm waiting to get one myself and I know your frustration. I did have an opportunity to get one at an AD but passed two times because I bought other things. This time I'm waiting and I'll wait as long as it takes.
    Last edited by Cybotron; Jan 7, 2020 at 11:39 AM.
    Cheers,

Richard

13. Likes hayday liked this post
    If in America, and I couldn’t find a used example in my immediate area, I’d probably buy one of the 83 currently listed by American sellers on Chrono24. After whittling the number down to sellers with a solid reputation, of course. I might also factor in the cost of a service, where indicated by age and/or uncertain service history. I’d also be checking for a full set of bracelet links.

15. Likes hayday liked this post
    Crown and Caliber has one for a decent price right now.
    Cheers,

Richard