Likes Likes:  129
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me find an Explorer

Go to Montreal and make a holiday of it. I agree with you, it's a great city. While the loony is doing well vs the USD compared to most of the rest of the G-20, you will do well on the exchange rate. Is the AD Chateau D'Ivoire? They've got some good people. working there.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

2. Likes hayday liked this post
    An AD cannot charge above the listed retail price. So I would say it is 100% possible of getting a properly documented new one from an AD for that price. I consider myself a Rolex person and from past experiences I will never buy from anyone other than new from an AD unless I know the watch. Even then for a SS sport watch the expectation for preowned is plus some level of a percent. I would place one on order unless you really need a road trip? Just buy from an AD.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

4. Likes Cybotron, hayday liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ck1109 View Post
    I’d say start with the ADs first and tell them you’re purchasing for a significant event and would like to get it by a certain date.
    See what they say. (They may ask for a token deposit though.)

Both me and my friend used this strategy with my local AD in seattle (goldfarb) and they were able to get me an EXP 1 in a month and he got the new BLRO GMT in ~4 months.

The used exp1 that you see on jomashop - is that the current gen 214270 or the previous gen 214270(no lume on 3-6-9). The previous gen exp 1 are selling for under 6k and there are many of them for sale on WatchRecon, from good sellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The one listed on Jomashop is the older 214 without the lumed 3-6-9. Lume is cool to look at but it's not essential. I wear an indiglo Ironman to bed so it's not a necessity.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Go to Montreal and make a holiday of it. I agree with you, it's a great city. While the loony is doing well vs the USD compared to most of the rest of the G-20, you will do well on the exchange rate. Is the AD Chateau D'Ivoire? They've got some good people. working there.
    The Montreal AD I found is Bijouterie Italienne. I've been to Montreal once before and I'd love to go back.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    If in America, and I couldn’t find a used example in my immediate area, I’d probably buy one of the 83 currently listed by American sellers on Chrono24. After whittling the number down to sellers with a solid reputation, of course. I might also factor in the cost of a service, where indicated by age and/or uncertain service history. I’d also be checking for a full set of bracelet links.

I find Chrono24 a little unsettling due the increased likelihood of fakery.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    The one listed on Jomashop is the older 214 without the lumed 3-6-9. Lume is cool to look at but it's not essential. I wear an indiglo Ironman to bed so it's not a necessity.
    Also, the white gold 3-6-9 model also has the short hands from the 36mm Explorer and not the appropriately sized hands of the lumed model. It's an unforgivable oversight on Rolex's part.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    yeah ran from 1963 to 1989
    Yes my timing really sux'ed. I bought it and a year later the new movement and, what is it, solid end links? came out. Fortunately, I found someone who wanted an Explorer and did not know that a new movement was out.

10. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    demollo has one too: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=712059

As you can see on watchrecon ?(https://www.watchrecon.com/?query=214270), the older 214270s generally sell for < 6k.

Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    I find Chrono24 a little unsettling due the increased likelihood of fakery.

There are no inherent risks with Chrono24. I find it useful as a short-cut to dealers that I might not have found for myself. Naturally, I then investigate those dealers. Some will turn out to be ADs, some will turn out to be dealers that come highly recommended on forums. Some, like the one who supplied my Omega Dynamic, have the best example of a watch you could wish for, in addition to a stellar reputation.

I would be wary of unknown private sellers, as I would wherever I encountered them, but Chrono24 is also the place to find some excellent dealers who would have no truck with fakes or substandard watches.

I’ve just picked up a pleasingly underpriced 9f Grand Seiko from these chaps and they’ve impressed so far - the watch is en route, but I note a bundle of well priced explorers.

https://timepeaks.com/search/?q=Role...er&sbox=header

However, I assume you have read the Walt Odets review which arguably led to a movement upgrade. As such, I’d be very careful in my selection of period.