Likes Likes:  74
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you preferred in the olden days....

Things you preferred in the olden days....

Shameless's thread about vinyl got me thinking about other things that used to be better, it also coincided with me receiving in the post a copy of a book from the 90s I wanted to reread. I was sure I'd bought a second hand copy of it recently but couldn't find it so ordered another from Amazon. Before it arrived I found the other copy, so now I have 2.
    One is the paperback first edition, the other is a modern printing.

I don't know about the US, but over here in the UK (I'm talking late 80s, 90s) there were 2 sizes of paperbacks. Regular sized for popular and genre fiction (about 4.5x7 inches), larger for literary fiction (about 5x8").

DSC_0065 by whatmeworry101, on Flickr

It was kind of a useful differentiator when in the book shop (like the difference between going to the multiplex and the arts cinema) and while I read both sorts of book I much preferred the smaller size from an aesthetic and ergonomic perspective. They just looked better and were more comfortable to hold.

I don't know exactly when or how or why, but someone decided ALL BOOKS should be the big size, and nowadays they pretty much are. You can get the odd book in the old standard size, but 90% at least are bigger. Bigger and less comfortable to hold. Bigger and taking more space on your shelves. Bigger and using more paper.

You'd think that they'd need less pages. But when I look at the book I've ended up with two of, the larger size one actually has 80 more, despite the pages being larger and the print not being noticeably smaller.

It all makes me terribly sad.

Anyway, what stuff like that gets your goat?

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post

I don't know about the US, but over here in the UK (I'm talking late 80s, 90s) there were 2 sizes of paperbacks. Regular sized for popular and genre fiction (about 4.5x7 inches), larger for literary fiction (about 5x8").

DSC_0065 by whatmeworry101, on Flickr
    Well, the standard of nostalgia was better then. I'm pretty disappointed with your liking 4.5" x 7" - the true classic for comfortable reading is the old hardback 4"x6"

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Well, the standard of nostalgia was better then. I'm pretty disappointed with your liking 4.5" x 7" - the true classic for comfortable reading is the old hardback 4"x6"
    Those are good too. And American paperbacks which are very slightly smaller than the old English ones, probably because they don't use the letter U in lots of words so need less characters.

4. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Well I am not really old enough to talk about the olden days but other then vinyl and mechanical watches, I love old cars. There is just something more fun about old cars whether it is an old British sports car or an old Mercedes then new versions.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

6. Likes Spooky, crownpuller liked this post
    lol how about knee lol like my knees I like them when they do not click every time you bend down haha

yeah had not notice but I had a book that's about a hundred year's old it was call the something bullet ok it was hard back but it was smaller then the hardbacks of today
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

8. Likes Spooky, Churchy liked this post
    Sleeping in was better back in the day. Guilt free without thinking you had wasted the day. Sleep till 2pm without a second thought. Now if the stars are aligned I sleep to 9 and feel like I stole something.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

Tennis players' volleying was better back in the 80s

Blog Entries
    My first car was a 1993 Dodge Dynasty. (Not old compared to some of you fossils, and I myself am only pushing 28). But it was made of metal. That stuff that doesn't always cry when you bash it. I had a little old lady pull in front of me in her then (2007) brand new pontiac. No one was injured, but my car didn't even crack a headlight, while a significant portion of her rear end was no longer attached.

I do not like plastic. I don't like plastic on my car, I hate plastic on my guns, and will not tolerate it on my knives. Things used to be made to last. I do not believe that to be the case anymore.

12. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    just remember it was the silent bullet a very early detective book that pre date's most and give's the rest the idea lol

published in 1910

Last edited by is that my watch; Apr 17, 2015 at 10:10 PM.
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

14. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    ... I love old cars. There is just something more fun about old cars whether it is an old British sports car or an old Mercedes then new versions.
    Absolutely. Character.... that's what's missing from modern cars. There's just something more endearing about cars that were drawn on a piece of paper, then moulded into reality.

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    lol how about knee lol like my knees I like them when they do not click every time you bend down haha
    ^^^ That too. I remember when I could get up without making a noise !

I'd also like to add toys. The toys I buy for my children, I'm invariably dismayed with the quality (or lack of) of them. Obscene amounts of money for bits of flimsy plastic Toys should be kid-proof, and not have a 'designed in' short lifespan that forces you to buy again
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.