Spring-bar tool, so yer can use the fork end of the thing to change straps without scratching the lugs. Additionally, the pointy end is for punching out the lickle pins wot bind the bracelet links together. In my experience yer need a couple of spare forks for when yer inevitably snap 'em.

Bracelet tool, so yer can remove (or replace) bracelets without gouging yer eye out.

I spent far too much on these 'cos I went into a Swiss store wot supplies the watch industry in the Zürich area. The sum total was around CHF 120 for both, which is around $130 in american shekels. But you can find the pair for around $50 on Ebay. I wouldn't go much less or they'll be made out of rubber.

I bought 'em a week or two after taking a watch in to a watch shop to have a bracelet removed and switched over to a leather strap; this being early in my WIS obsession. They did the usual "leave it with us, come back in an hour". Which I did, only I didn't leave the shop 'cos I wanted to look at the watches therein. Obsessed, wasn't I. Anyways, I noted some discomfort and was even re-asked to "come back" at the time when the watch was due to be ready, but spent the time looking at yet more watches. I did wonder if they were worried I was planning a robbery (I was, but on our saving's account).

Anyways, a few minutes before the appointed time (the Swiss have earned their reputation for promptness) I realised that my watch hadn't been worked on. So I reminded the nice lady that the time was almost up. Oh dear: the older bloke gave me a glare, and sat down at his desk with my watch, and removed the bracelet in a jiffy using the bracelet tool, and in a few seconds more popped the new strap on using his spring bar tool. Total work time? Maybe a minute, no more. The longest operation was taking the new strap out of its plastic sheath, I kid you not.

Big smile from me, that wavered a bit when then charged me CHF 20 (about $25) for that minute's work, which equates to about $1,500 per hour.

Now yer know why they ask you to "come back later"; they don't want yer to know how p1ss easy the work is.

Anyways, the two tools are essential and I couldn't live without 'em.

Ric