Some might argue that a dive watch is not a “true diver” unless it has some sort of timing bezel. I would beg to differ but there is some truth to this.

When Cronus presented their PROTOTYPE 2 it was immediately nominated for the 2018 German Design Award.

It was a beautifully engineered watch that boasted Cronus’ proprietary crown-locking system with its unique “control before dive” indictor in bright orange.

However it was lacking lack diver’s bezel. For those that simply must have a timing bezel on your dive watch, Cronus has now addressed this issue with a new model.

This is the PROTOTYPE 3, smaller, deeper and perhaps more of diver than its older brother. The watch has a 42mm in diameter case with a water-resistance of up to 600 meters.

The Stainless steel AISI 316L case which has thickness of just 15mm is fitted: with a 3.6mm-thick Sapphire crystal with AR-treatment on both sides. It has a slight dome to it.

A 60-click unidirectional rotational diver’s bezel with an engraved dive-time scale and luminous 12hr triangular marker proudly tops the case.

Once again Cronus has given their diver an added level of security by adding a crown-locking system which has a red control ring to the watch’s 9mm screwed crown.

Powering the watches is Swiss made automatic caliber ETA 2824-2 with Incabloc shock protection, 25 jewels and a beat-rate of 28.800 half-cycles per hour.

The PROTOTYPE 3 has launched with six models. Dial colors include: matt –black, blue and brown as well as vintage matt brown. Indexes with Superluminova C3.

It comes on a 24mm handmade Buffalo strap. All models are currently priced 1’150€ which I believe constitutes a 40% discount off its list price. You can PRE-ORDER, now.

Thoughts? I absolutely love my PROTOTYPE 2, but the PROTOTYPE 3 is 2mm smaller in diameter, 300 meters deeper and has a diver’s bezel. It is also more affordable – a triumph, love it!

More...