Likes Likes:  123
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The anti-Credor :-)

The anti-Credor :-)

It's all Richard's (@Cybotron) fault.

A while back in the random watch thread, he posted this picture of a platinum, blue dial Navitimer release:

Name:  Navitimer 806 Platinum.png
Views: 260
Size:  431.8 KB

I really liked it--until I found out it was platinum and $40k. But I went and did some research and discovered that there's a steel limited edition that was released last year (1959 made, since it's a re-edition of the Navitimer 806 that was originally released in, natch, 1959). It's a classic black dial version. I've always liked the older Navitimer designs, with no date, the slide rule bezel, and all that other wonderful dial stuff. I called my guy, and he said he had been supposed to get one but never did--so he would see if he still could. A week later, he called, saying I could come take a look--apparently this is the last one Breitling still had (there are a couple for sale on the gray market, but at a price above list, of course).

I loved it even more once I saw it. It's a dead ringer for the original release, differing only in having some water resistance (30m), superluminova instead of radium, and Breitling's new hand wind B09 in house movement, which is a manual version of the B01 chronograph movement. It's a vertical clutch, column wheel movement with an impressive 70 hour power reserve. Perfect size for me--40.9mm, 12.85mm thick, but it wears thinner because there's a lovely plexiglass domed crystal on top.

I like the more modest box--I mean, does anyone do anything other than put them in a carton in the basement?

Name:  Navitimer outer box.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  262.1 KB

Name:  Navitimer inner box.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  188.0 KB

You do get the nice Breitling leather travel thingie:

Name:  Navitimer travel pouch.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  224.2 KB

Which I'll never use.

I say it's the anti-Credor because, well it's obvious, isn't it?

Name:  Navitimer wrist closeup 1.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  84.2 KB

As I said when I first saw the platinum one, I don't know why I love these dials so much, given that I'm normally into simplicity, but I just do...
    It sits beautifully on the wrist for me, the strap is thick near the case but thins out as well as tapering, comfortable even without being broken in yet.

Name:  Navitimer Wrist 2.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  448.0 KB

Name:  Navitimer side and crown.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  29.5 KB

Here's a good shot of that lovely dome:

Name:  Navitimer Dome.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  376.4 KB

Solid back, nice Breitling pin buckle:

Name:  Navitimer back.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  91.6 KB

Name:  Navitimer buckle.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  53.5 KB

Final pictures to follow...

A couple of macro shots:

Name:  Navitimer 12 Macro.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  Navitimer chrono minutes macro.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  51.2 KB

The lines at 3, 6 and 9 on the chronograph minutes were for timing long distance calls, which back then were billed in three minute intervals.

The lume is quite good:

Name:  Navitimer Lume.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  16.2 KB

So you're probably wondering, if you know me, what's leaving? The answer is the H2O Orca (which I do like, but it just doesn't get worn much) and the titanium Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, which became expendable when the White Wolf arrived.

Funny, I am mostly into simple watches as well, diverging occasionally, and this is one of the few that I really like that is not.

Very nice pick up!! Congratulations!

4. Likes mlcor, Cybotron, iyonk, synequano liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely lovely! Way better than that snooze button of Credor you have, definitely.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Absolutely lovely! Way better than that snooze button of Credor you have, definitely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes Raza, synequano liked this post
    A sneaky catch, and a good one!
    Enjoy your dial-- pattern thingy.
    And the dirty logo.

9. Likes mlcor, synequano liked this post
    I prefer simple watches and I have always been drawn to the Navitimer anyway... I always thought they were 45mm, and a definite no at that size. I was not aware of a 40mm version...hmmm.
    Last edited by gnuyork; Jan 15, 2020 at 09:43 PM.

11. Likes Raza, happyscrappyheropup, synequano liked this post

The anti-Credor :-)

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    I prefer simple watches and I have always been drawn to the Navitimer anyway... I always thought they were 45mm, and a definite no at that size. I was not aware of a 40mm version...hmmm.
    Yes, most modern Breitlings were too big for my tastes, or not true enough to the originals, or had the dreaded 4:30 date. Or all three. Once I saw the size of this one (which would have been huge in 1959), I was hooked.

13. Likes gnuyork, synequano liked this post
    Congrats - bit busy for my old eyes but the navitimer is a classic! Enjoy mate
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

15. Likes mlcor, synequano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Congrats - bit busy for my old eyes but the navitimer is a classic! Enjoy mate
    YOUR old eyes?? Whatever am I going to do when Iím your age.