Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Scotland?

Scotland?

My sister has decided she's going to Scotland for 1 week next September. Probably flying into Edinburgh.
    All plans are open right now, so she's looking for ideas.
    She's 68, can walk a bit but no marathons. Car rental? Trains?
    She'd like to spend 2 weeks but her travelling companions are still wage slaves and can only take a week.

Will her cell Droid cell phone work, atm cards, I pad?
    Will a US phone rack up roaming charges?

I'd suggest trains and taxis as needed, as driving in any foreign country, especially one that drives on the opposite side of the road, is not so good. At one time in my life, I was going to Scotland every month for years, and I never drove.

Cell phone and tablet will work, make sure she brings an adapter. No voltage change transformers needed, just an adapter as both of those devices have multi voltage capability. Most hotels have hair dryer outlets if needed.

Dependent on what cell carrier she has, there are plans for foreign travel that you should look into. I'm on an AT&T plan that enables me to mimic my home plan, which is unlimited everything for a flat rate, and it charges me $10 for every day additionally when I use text, phone or data. That's much better than my first trip over there when I let my data roaming go.

Check out her plan and ask a lot of questions as if she does not have unlimited, she'd need to shut data roaming off and use wifi where able, or, perhaps there's a plan with her carrier that makes sense.

Call the bank and credit card companies to apprise them of travel.

A week in Scotland is all one needs, a few days in Edinburgh and a day in Glasgow, with maybe a detour or two to somewhere else unless you want to see the entire country.
    Last edited by wschofield3; Jan 16, 2020 at 11:35 PM.

I would treat it as a two-centre holiday - Edinburgh and The Highlands.

Edinburgh is a fabulous city. I could happily live there and want for nothing. Fortunately, I get my Edinburgh fix from visiting my nephew who lives there. The city is walkable for a moderately fit 68 year-old, but walking could always be supplemented by taxis.

Delightful though Edinburgh is, it’s in the lowlands, and for a full flavour of Scotland you need the Highlands. Fort William is a good base for that, with trips out to Loch Ness and the Isle of Skye.

Driving is best if you’re young and intrepid, putting yourself in the safe hands of a tour operator would be better for your sister. Edinburgh to Fort William could be done by train.

So in short - a hotel in central Edinburgh for 5-7 days, and then off to a hotel in Fort William with organised trips to Highland highlights. Your sister’s friends could just do the first bit.

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    ..... driving in any foreign country, especially one that drives on the opposite side of the road, is not so good.
    Most of 'the best' roads in Scotland are single track, so sides become irrelevant; just remember to pull into the passing places on the left. ... and by 'best', I mean the most scenic.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I would treat it as a two-centre holiday - Edinburgh and The Highlands.

Edinburgh is a fabulous city. I could happily live there and want for nothing. Fortunately, I get my Edinburgh fix from visiting my nephew who lives there. The city is walkable for a moderately fit 68 year-old, but walking could always be supplemented by taxis.

Delightful though Edinburgh is, it’s in the lowlands, and for a full flavour of Scotland you need the Highlands. Fort William is a good base for that, with trips out to Loch Ness and the Isle of Skye.

Driving is best if you’re young and intrepid, putting yourself in the safe hands of a tour operator would be better for your sister. Edinburgh to Fort William could be done by train.

So in short - a hotel in central Edinburgh for 5-7 days, and then off to a hotel in Fort William with organised trips to Highland highlights. Your sister’s friends could just do the first bit.
    ^^^ Thoroughly sound suggestion/s. I spent a week with my wife (then girlfiend) at a hotel by Loch Ness - you don't have to go far for some breathtaking scenery.
    A couple of tips:
    1. Forget John O'Groats - Unless you like looking out over a misty sea ! There's nothing there and about the same to do.... and
    2. Whatever you do: Don't ask for a 'Full English Breakfast'
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

5. Likes boatme99 liked this post
    Thanks everyone, I've passed all of this on to her.