Likes Likes:  2

Thread: WW11 - Graphical casualty count.

WW11 - Graphical casualty count.

I just came across this and thought I'd share..hope it's ok?

Very sobering in parts but also shows possitve outcomes since that awful war

http://io9.com/this-animated-data-vi...ali-1709065880

2. Likes ljb187 liked this post
    This might be tough thread to keep going, but I want to mention a lot of people don't understand the difference between someone in the service and someone in combat arms. They tend to think a soldier is a soldier and an airman is an airman - this isn't true. While all jobs in the service are critical, most of them are support roles. It's those who do the fighting who have by far the hardest time.

Example: The infantry totalled 14% of the 16,000,000 US citizens who served in the World War II, yet 70% of the 400,000 who were killed were infantryman. If you were a US Army infantryman in World War II you had a 12.5% chance of being killed. Bomber crews in the 8th Air Force faced about the same odds.
    Last edited by ljb187; Jun 8, 2015 at 04:14 AM.

4. Likes pepperami liked this post
    One of the most striking things for me is the 3x population growth since then and the overall figure amounting to ~ 1% of today's global population (If I have the math righ?)