Likes Likes:  44
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Everybody ready for the Leap Second Event?

Smile Everybody ready for the Leap Second Event?

Directly from our Department of Homeland Security (apparently this is a big deal for REALLY accurate people):

1. Leap Second Introduction
    The Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) time standard, based on atomic clocks, is widely used for international timekeeping and as the reference for time in most countries. UTC is the basis of legal time for most of the world.
    UTC must be adjusted at irregular intervals to maintain its correlation to mean solar time due to irregularities in the Earth’s rotation. These adjustments, called leap seconds, are pre-determined. The next leap second will occur on 30 June 2015 at 23:59:59 UTC.
    Specifically, a positive leap second will be inserted between second 23:59:59 of 30 June and second 00:00:00 of 1 July. This extra second is displayed on UTC clocks as 23:59:60.

So, everyone, prepare yourselves...

2. Likes JAGtime, OhDark30, popoki nui liked this post
    I did mine earlier

4. Likes mlcor, Churchy, popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Directly from our Department of Homeland Security (apparently this is a big deal for REALLY accurate people):

1. Leap Second Introduction
    The Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) time standard, based on atomic clocks, is widely used for international timekeeping and as the reference for time in most countries. UTC is the basis of legal time for most of the world.
    UTC must be adjusted at irregular intervals to maintain its correlation to mean solar time due to irregularities in the Earth’s rotation. These adjustments, called leap seconds, are pre-determined. The next leap second will occur on 30 June 2015 at 23:59:59 UTC.
    Specifically, a positive leap second will be inserted between second 23:59:59 of 30 June and second 00:00:00 of 1 July. This extra second is displayed on UTC clocks as 23:59:60.

So, everyone, prepare yourselves...
    That's kind of cool. So does it mean that my solar atomic G-Shock will display 23:59:60 or just that the first time it syncs after the second is added it will jump forward a second?

That'll save me having to reset my Aerospace....... I only had it serviced in 2012 and it's gained a second already
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

7. Likes geoffbot, mlcor, OhDark30 liked this post
    Wow. Some people really have...ahem...too much time on their hands.

9. Likes mlcor, Nokie, gnuyork, Samanator, popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    That's kind of cool. So does it mean that my solar atomic G-Shock will display 23:59:60 or just that the first time it syncs after the second is added it will jump forward a second?
    Dunno. You know what would be cool--you could set up a video camera, film it, and see what happens. I know, I'm a complete geek--I'd do it if I had one...

11. Likes theague liked this post
    I'm so glad I'm not that anal. lol
    Kody

13. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Dunno. You know what would be cool--you could set up a video camera, film it, and see what happens. I know, I'm a complete geek--I'd do it if I had one...
    Please WMW, could you do it?

"Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of travelling." Margaret Lee Runbeck.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackNomad View Post
    Please WMW, could you do it?

16. Likes theague, mlcor, BlackNomad, popoki nui liked this post
    Whew! Knowing this fills a major void in my life......
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

18. Likes mlcor, theague, Samanator, popoki nui liked this post