Likes Likes:  13

Thread: The post-purchase letdown?

The post-purchase letdown?

I had been stalking vintage Girard Perregaux Sea Hawks for a few weeks now and finally got serious about getting one about two weeks ago. There were two on eBay, one a "Buy It Now" with an ok dial, and one with a much better dial that but was broken. My plan was to get them both and do a simple dial swap since they were near-identical watches, save for the dial color; one cream while the other silver. Low and behold, the broken one sold for $159, (more than I was willing to pay, and $9 more than the working one I bought) so I hope the person who won it can get it up and running. The seller made it seem as though it was rusted to hell the way the hands turned. Oh well.

So i have a vintage piece on the way and another on the way back from being serviced. It's almost like two new-to-me watches coming my way and yet I don't feel the same excitement as I did when I was on the hunt for the next one. Does anyone else get this post purchase letdown? I'm excited about what's incoming, but I keep wanting to look at auction sites to see what is there.

As I said earlier, oh well. Pics to follow, but this will have to do:

1960s GP Sea Hawk, on its way to me. I hate the bracelet so that goes, but the watch is pretty cool. I may keep looking for a similar year silver dial to do a dial swap.

Name:  $_12.JPG
Views: 524
Size:  18.8 KB

1960s Zodiac Sea Wolf, wending its way back from service

Name:  Sea Wolf.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  56.3 KB

I'll post more and better pics once the watches arrive. I also ordered several new straps so I'm done buying for the time being.

-hayday
    Last edited by hayday; Jun 8, 2015 at 11:34 PM.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

2. Likes JAGtime, OhDark30, synequano liked this post
    Try to ignore it and you'll enjoy it more

Just let whatever happen.

4. Likes hayday liked this post
    The feeling of getting a watch back from service is the best. It'll hit you eventually.

6. Likes hayday liked this post
    The hunt is always better than the kill.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

8. Likes hayday, samael_6978 liked this post
    This works for me

10. Likes pepperami, hayday, popoki nui liked this post
    The dial on that GP looks decent to me.

Love the Seawolf.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

12. Likes hayday liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    The hunt is always better than the kill.
    I once read a book about a guy who mounted a camera to a rifle butt and goes out "hunting" with his friends in the U P of Michigan; people lose lawsuits when they get shot for wearing fur coats or gloves during deer season, so hunting is pretty well the most important thing that goes on the the Upper Peninsula. Anyway, he never fails to bag multiple deer while many of his friends go multiple years without a single getting one.

Yeah, the hunt is better.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Usually the letdown happened because you haven't held the watch on your hand or tried it on your wrist

I bought two of my more expensive Pams that way,and both times,they turned out okay and I love each of them once I got it on my wrist

For me,the hunt is just half the fun,being able to wear the watch that I've wanted for a while is the other half (especially after I've seen the new pams on SIHH,but that's another topic)

15. Likes hayday liked this post
    While scouting out potential Sea Hawks on which to bid, I was excitedly going to the computer looking to see the latest bids or what else may have come available. Now I have to patiently wait for the mail carrier. Fortunately, I also ordered some new straps- one came yesterday, three should come today, another three later this week. The Zodiac should be here Wednesday or Thursday, certainly by the end of the week. I have some things to look forward to. Thing is, sitting by the mailbox isn't the same as clicking "refresh" on the computer.

I can be very impatient at times.

-hayday
    Last edited by hayday; Jun 10, 2015 at 01:52 PM.

Well, the GP Sea Hawk arrived but I can't wear it as I have no straps that fit. It came with a Twist-o-Flex bracelet, but I ain't wearing that as my arms are too hairy. Anyone else need 16mm straps for any of their watches? Yeesh! New straps ordered, wait continues. Thankfully, I can wear the vintage Sea Wolf while waiting.

-hayday

Name:  GP Sea Hawk.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  67.6 KB

Name:  Zodiac3.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  48.7 KB

18. Likes Imitation of Life liked this post