Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Antiques Road Show Find

Another Antiques Road Show Find

Another one of these articles I love to share.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/nati...239711028.html

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Holy ****ing shit, that's amazing. I can't imagine having something sitting in a drawer after all that time that's worth a nice house. Good for him, what a find!
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

3. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Saw that last night on PBS. Good stuff. The guy seemed like he deserved a good thing like that happening to him.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

That's awesome, so happy for the veteran!

That is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually if you watch it it is kind of sad. Happy it's so valuable, but sad he never wore it. It would still be worth $250K-$300K if he had wore it. We have a friend who has one and has worn it everyday for the past five years while she teaches college. It's still appraised and insured for over $250K. It was her fathers, and no her dad is not Paul Newman. Though, I did meet him once, but that is another story more about cars than watches.

It's probably worth more than what he said given the recent crazy prices in auction. It might pull over a million.
    Last edited by Samanator; Jan 29, 2020 at 05:28 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    Actually if you watch it it is kind of sad. Happy it's so valuable, but sad he never wore it. It would still be worth $250K-$300K if he had wore it. We have a friend who has one and has worn it everyday for the past five years while she teaches college. It's still appraised and insured for over $250K. It was her fathers, and no her dad is not Paul Newman. Though, I did meet him once, but that is another story more about cars than watches.

It's probably worth more than what he said given the recent crazy prices in auction. It might pull over a million.
    I can see that. The watch never got to fulfill its purpose, it never got to be a watch and he never got to enjoy it. It's like seeing people who collect sports and supercars and never drive them. There's a tinge of sadness about it. But this guy worked EOD, I don't even want to know what the fatality rate for those guys was back then. So he deserves to sell this watch and live out the rest of his life however he wants to.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post

Iím really not sure he would have gotten much satisfaction from wearing it though. It was probably just an instrument to measure time with albeit an expensive one and unlike your friend who probably gets incredible joy and comfort from wearing her fatherís timepiece, it probably holds less sentimental value.

In the end, Iím sure he will get much more joy and comfort from what he gets from its sale.

Interesting thought though, what if any of us found such a treasure? What would we do? Buy, keep, wear or put away? Perhaps another topic?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Col Angus View Post
    Interesting thought though, what if any of us found such a treasure? What would we do? Buy, keep, wear or put away?

If it were mine to sell, Iíd sell it. Other than for museums or millionaire collectors, it has no value beyond its financial value.

11. Likes Col Angus liked this post
    I too would sell it in a flash. Thinking how it would wipe out any college debt for both my son graduating this spring and my other son in fifth grade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Likes Raza, KingK liked this post