Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Double Rhomb calendar watches

Two Double Rhomb calendar watches

I have a couple of Double Rhomb brand watches that I acquired in the spring of 2014. I didn’t want to post about them until I could take better pictures, but I never got around to it. It may never happen, so here are the old inadequate photos.

The first is a single calendar model.

I bought it because I was curious to see whether it had quickset date. It doesn’t.

The Shuangling logo appears on the crown.

The second is a 40 jewel automatic.

I have another English language zidong model, but it’s in worse condition than this one. As expected, it has quickset date.

The crown is a replacement. Unfortunately I couldn’t get a decent picture of it.

My collection of Vintage Chinese Mechanicals can be seen at myvcms.com

2. Likes DJW GB, HKEd, Martin, GuessWho, Strela167, OhDark30 liked this post
    very nice! I never saw the case shape of the first one.
    I have been looking for a 40 zuan, especially with colored dial, for far too long. Every time I looked again, the price increased

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    very nice! I never saw the case shape of the first one.
    I have been looking for a 40 zuan, especially with colored dial, for far too long. Every time I looked again, the price increased
    Thanks, Martin.

The fact that prices have increased considerably does make it more difficult to buy, but the watches we already have are worth more too. I bought this export 40 zuan on a well-known auction site for a relatively low price, so with some patience and luck it's possible to get one that doesn't cost a small fortune.

I see a lot of them recently, all 34mm in size. Is that the normal size, or are there also larger versions? I seem to remember they were 36...

I don't know exact dimensions, but the export versions look slightly smaller than the domestic ones.

You're seeing a lot of them? Maybe I should start looking for watches again...

On ebay, there are several. I hadn't seen them in a while, but now they re-appear:

My mistake, I thought you meant the 40 jewel automatics. I'm not sure about the sizes, but many of one seller's listings say 34mm. I suspect that it could be a default setting in the listings, not necessarily an accurate description.

Of the ones in the pictures you posted, the second looks to be a full size watch (in great condition). The first is probably smaller, likely with a ZB-2 inside. A difference between 1970s and 1980s styles partly.

There are some really nice looking for watches for sale right now. Trying to resist the urge...

I failed
    Got this one incoming

Including a service for $34

The 40 zuan is still high on the wantlist though

10. Likes OhDark30, DJW GB, GuessWho, saskwatch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I failed
    Got this one incoming

Including a service for $34

The 40 zuan is still high on the wantlist though
    Nice choice with the blue dial!

I have one coming in as well (Shuangling branded), from the same seller it looks like (the one with the $10 service). I like the gold hands/indices as well
    Name:  shuangling.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  59.0 KB
    Last edited by GuessWho; Jun 16, 2015 at 03:27 AM. Reason: spelling

12. Likes saskwatch, DJW GB liked this post
    Very acceptable pricing, isn't it?
    It will join it's younger brother:

14. Likes saskwatch, GuessWho, DJW GB liked this post