Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I blame IWL

I blame IWL

Specifically, Rick "the enlightener" Denney. Thanks for unknowingly inspiring a long quest of mine!

Not so long ago, Rick made another one of his excellent and informative posts (see here: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showthread.php?t=3429) regarding a Concord Impresario that he picked up. I thought the dial was very attractive, but the thing that really got my attention was the movement. As Rick discussed, the Impresario line used Zenith movements. And since a chronograph was among the Impresario offerings, I did the simple math and was able to figure out the chronograph most likely used an El Primero movement. A quick search confirmed it.

Yep. It's an El Primero. A 411 to be exact.

I have wanted an El Primero for quite some time, but it never made it to the top of the list, mostly because I didn't want to commit El Primero funds when there were not many Zenith models that grabbed my attention. I had looked into alternatives and found some other nice watches that used the El Primero movement, but again, nothing that really moved me, especially for the asking price.

That brings me back to the Impresario. Like my EOT Deck Watch, it has many things going for it that I typically don't like in a watch. Overly styled case? Check. Triple calendar? Triple check. I usually don't even like a date window let alone three windows. Weird bracelet? Check. Goofy lugs? Check.

And yet, just like the Deck Watch, all of these individual parts just seem to work well together. The overly styled case matches the weird bracelet design and ties the whole design together. The goofy lugs break up the ribbing of the case and bracelet just enough that one design element doesn't overwhelm the whole. And the triple date? Color matched wheels with silver printing makes the windows blend in with the dial.

And did I mention the El Primero movement? Smooth as silk. And very nicely finished, too.

The other great thing about it is the size. It is only 38mm diameter and slide under the cuff thin at 12.5mm thick. I have relatively big wrists but they are very round, so I prefer watches that are smaller than what the size would suggest. Another millimeter or two in diameter wouldn't have hurt, but I think the compact size works well.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention something about the price. Even on the bracelet with full box and papers (COSC certified as well) it is one of the cheapest mechanical chronographs I own thanks to poor eBay photos and a lousy description of the watch.

Last edited by FuzzyB; Jun 10, 2015 at 01:42 PM.

I love the size for a chronograph. In pictures I can't say that I care for it, but you and I do have exactly the same feelings about the Deck Watch. There are so many things about it that seem wrong and when they are all put together and seen in real life they work. Therefore, I will reserve judgement

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    I love the size for a chronograph. In pictures I can't say that I care for it, but you and I do have exactly the same feelings about the Deck Watch. There are so many things about it that seem wrong and when they are all put together and seen in real life they work. Therefore, I will reserve judgement
    Thanks, Henry! It is certainly over-designed and pushes the boundaries of what I would normally wear. If it didn't have the El Primero in it, I doubt I would have given it a second look. It will be interesting to see whether the design endears itself to me over time or if I will grow tired of all of the competing design elements. Until then, I'll enjoy wearing it and admiring the smooth sweep of the second hand.

4. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    Specifically, Rick "the enlightener" Denney. Thanks for unknowingly inspiring a long quest of mine!

Not so long ago, Rick made another one of his excellent and informative posts (see here: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showthread.php?t=3429) regarding a Concord Impresario that he picked up. I thought the dial was very attractive, but the thing that really got my attention was the movement. As Rick discussed, the Impresario line used Zenith movements. And since a chronograph was among the Impresario offerings, I did the simple math and was able to figure out the chronograph most likely used an El Primero movement. A quick search confirmed it.

Yep. It's an El Primero. A 411 to be exact.

I have wanted an El Primero for quite some time, but it never made it to the top of the list, mostly because I didn't want to commit El Primero funds when there were not many Zenith models that grabbed my attention. I had looked into alternatives and found some other nice watches that used the El Primero movement, but again, nothing that really moved me, especially for the asking price.

That brings me back to the Impresario. Like my EOT Deck Watch, it has many things going for it that I typically don't like in a watch. Overly styled case? Check. Triple calendar? Triple check. I usually don't even like a date window let alone three windows. Weird bracelet? Check. Goofy lugs? Check.

And yet, just like the Deck Watch, all of these individual parts just seem to work well together. The overly styled case matches the weird bracelet design and ties the whole design together. The goofy lugs break up the ribbing of the case and bracelet just enough that one design element doesn't overwhelm the whole. And the triple date? Color matched wheels with silver printing makes the windows blend in with the dial.

And did I mention the El Primero movement? Smooth as silk. And very nicely finished, too.

The other great thing about it is the size. It is only 38mm diameter and slide under the cuff thin at 12.5mm thick. I have relatively big wrists but they are very round, so I prefer watches that are smaller than what the size would suggest. Another millimeter or two in diameter wouldn't have hurt, but I think the compact size works well.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention something about the price. Even on the bracelet with full box and papers (COSC certified as well) it is one of the cheapest mechanical chronographs I own thanks to poor eBay photos and a lousy description of the watch.

Damn nice looking Concord Brian...Congrats
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    Thanks, Henry! It is certainly over-designed and pushes the boundaries of what I would normally wear. If it didn't have the El Primero in it, I doubt I would have given it a second look. It will be interesting to see whether the design endears itself to me over time or if I will grow tired of all of the competing design elements. Until then, I'll enjoy wearing it and admiring the smooth sweep of the second hand.
    I like it, very unique piece, but if you do start feeling that way you could try it on leather. I found a pic of one and it has quite a different look without the bracelet. It dresses up very nicely and the case size helps.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    I like it, very unique piece, but if you do start feeling that way you could try it on leather. I found a pic of one and it has quite a different look without the bracelet. It dresses up very nicely and the case size helps.

I'm generally a bracelet guy but I like that a lot more already.

Oh yeah! love the look on Croc or Gator even more.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 edge using Tapatalk
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

9. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Congrats! What a nice pick up!

Now, I "blame" you, and GlennO..... The beauty on the leather further enhances its looks....urgh.....why, why did I open this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    Your new acquisition looks great on you, Brian. Giving it time to "gel" is a good idea. And the leather strap is another possible option. Enjoy your new "El Primero" movement watch!

13. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post

It looks great on that leather! Thanks for posting that picture. I wanted the bracelet but will probably move it to leather when the weather cools down again. When I do, I want to get a strap just like that.

15. Likes GlennO, iyonk liked this post