Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cost of refurbishment

Cost of refurbishment

This was just some idle musing I was doing while Googling for images last night. Specifically of the Ref 1018 (36mm oyster, 1570, no date) which got discontinued quite a long time ago (unlike the very similar 1002, which went right through the mid 80s)

Looking at prices I saw that because most of the watches coming up for sale are from half a decade ago, a greater proportion of them than is the case with the 1002 are pitched at the collectors market, with lots of emphasis on what degree of work has or hasn't been done eg unpolished case, original hands etc. And so lots more variation in price than seen with the 1002. I think the cheapest I saw was $1500 (private) and most expensive was £3000 (retail) = $4750 for something very minty indeed

If someone had no interest in those things that appeal to collectors, and just wanted a 1018 for its design, would they be best off, financially, buying a very scruffy example from the bottom of the market and sending it to Rolex saying, new hands, new dial, complete repolish, please?

Or you could Franken it, maybe?
    I did this with 2 Zwesdas - a non-functioning pretty one and a chewed up one with a good movement
    A guy on the market swapped the movement into the good case for a fiver
    (Caution, you may be looking at a bigger outlay
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    Or you could Franken it, maybe?
    I did this with 2 Zwesdas - a non-functioning pretty one and a chewed up one with a good movement
    A guy on the market swapped the movement into the good case for a fiver
    (Caution, you may be looking at a bigger outlay
    Yeah, I've never seen a Rolex for less than a pony

Errm, why not go Tudor? :-)

Because this is a theoretical question and not me wondering what to do with my £££

Ah
    :-)