Likes Likes:  0

Thread: **** Rotary Oscillating System ****

**** Rotary Oscillating System ****

well I know how to take them apart to a degree but just curious the bigger the spring does it take less winding than a smaller spring I have a Molina pocket watch that takes about five turns and then a vostok that takes 25 - 30.

so is there a size to wind ratio or complete varied.

and while we are talking balance wheels why so many names for the same thing ?

here a few question I see appearing around and about that would be fun to see our members take on them

1. you can have a broken balance wheel but can still maybe have it work for 2 hours or more ? (got one that holds a 16 hours charge) but why ?

2. do we have a thread with comparable hands to movement sizes. ( saw a post or two from think Der Amf where he list a few )

3. a quartz question. A movement is set to a quartz stone it should keep it accurate to what percent I always thought hundred percent as I have never notice it. Well if the battery is going then yes it might slow but I put that to the battery not the quartz ?

4. There is condensation on the inner surface of the crystal. What should I do.

5. What is the difference between a "Chronograph" and a "Chronometer"?

6. How do I use a Tachymeter (also referred to as a Tachometer)?

7. I can't wind my watch because it's over wound. Is it possible to "over wind" a watch?

well I will go with question 7.

Practically speaking, no... there's really no such thing as an over wound watch. You should be able to wind a watch until it naturally stops i.e. until it doesn't wind any more. If you use a lot of force and continue to wind it past the normal stopping point, then yes, you can do damage to the watch, but you would have to put some muscle into it. If your watch is fully wound and it does not run, it's because there's something wrong with it that's keeping it from running. The problem is NOT the fully wound mainspring. This is usually caused by old, dried-out oil that is binding the coils of a worn-out mainspring together or interfering with the smooth transmission of power through the gears of the watch. A cleaning and a new mainspring can often correct the "over-wound" watch.

Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Thank goodness most autos have clutches to prevent over zealous winding or my buddy would have a chest full of watches with broken main springs.......
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx