Likes Likes:  119
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistols? Anyone here collect and/or carry hand guns?

Pistols? Anyone here collect and/or carry hand guns?

Please note: Please respect the rules of the Forum, or this thread will no doubt be locked/deleted. While some of us may not favor the no weapons pics rule, a carry over from the days many of us spent at WUS, it is the rule here nonetheless, and we agreed to abide by it when we signed on. I recall a similar thread in the WUS Cafe that actually made it for quite a while, even getting participation from Mr. Stuffler (carried a Sig Sauer in an official capacity). Please no pics, and no cause for the Mods to need to babysit this thread (no politics/legal debates, debating the rules etc. etc.). Just keep it simple as to what you own/collect/carry. Thanks for your cooperation!

Okay, just had mention of a couple of hand guns in another thread, got me thinking about the one from the other place. That plus I picked up a new S&W 442 J Frame today for pocket carry for self defense (always in a pocket holster if in a pocket for safety, and to promote a proper draw). I am licensed to carry here in Michigan, a license which is honored in 40 States (I try to avoid the other 10 and believe in carrying whenever it is legal to do so).

The J Frame is a matter of convenience (wanted one for many years). This one is of the "no lock" variety which they've begun producing again.

I am primarily a 1911 guy and have several, as well as a number of Glocks (maybe I'm a pureist? All of my 1911s are in .45 ACP and all of my Glocks are in 9mm). I also have a number of other hand guns, to include Colt SAAs (and clones), a Kahr PM9, a P3AT, Charter Bulldog Pug (.44 Spl) and still a few more. And I've got a HUGE array of holsters for variety and various methods of carry. Hmm... guess it's no wonder I don't have more watches!

So, what's your favored platform/carry sidearm, or what do you like to collect?
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

2. Likes watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Don't collect or carry, but I do have a Sig Sauer SP2022.

4. Likes watchdaddy1, T Bone liked this post
    I've never even held a hand gun let alone own one.

6. Likes bolaberlim liked this post
    Strict rules about gun ownership here in the UK - they have to be registered with the police, securely stored etc. Automatic weapons are a complete nono

An older friend used to work on the bins, and he said that in the decades after WW2, people got bored of their wartime souvenir guns, and threw them away. There'd usually be parts missing, but if 200, 300, pass through your hands, its not hard to assemble a working one.

The most alarming example he heard was of a colleague who casually invited a policeman friend around. The copper was surprised by the home decor - on the wall above the mantelpiece were two crossed guns - fully functional machine guns!
    Last edited by OhDark30; Jun 13, 2015 at 10:42 AM.

My only gun fires hot glue and that's not an innuendo

9. Likes is that my watch, Seriously, ljb187 liked this post
    My edc is a Sig p239 9mm.
    In the safe I have various S&W revolvers, Rugers, one rare Colt semi, a CZ 54, Heritage Rough Rider, Bersa Thunder, and a few more I'm forgetting.
    Some Ruger, Winchester, and Cricket (the granddaughters) rifles, and
    a Mossberg 500 shotgun.

Also ammo for all.

11. Likes T Bone, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I'm not a 'collector' per se, as I only own pieces I actually use, and don't imagine myself ever buying a gun that I didn't intend to use. With that said I do have a pile of irons.

For pistols I favor 1911s. Always steel, always .45 ACP, almost always full size, though I do have a few Combat Commanders. For nine millies I quite like my HKs -- P7M8, USP9f, and P9S; I also like my CZs -- a 75B and a PCR. My one Glock is a Gen 3 G17 that, while being the single ugliest gun I own, is also quite accurate and tediously reliable. My latest acquisition is a Mauser P08 that I haven't yet had a chance to shoot. It's heavy as a Buick and the rear sight is so small it makes the sights on a USGI 1911 look like the Golden Gate Bridge. Nevertheless, it's about as mechanically solid as anything ever made.

For revolvers I'm definitely an S&W kinda guy. Got a J frame, a horde of L frames, and a couple N frames to boot. I think my favorites of the lot are a 7-shot 686 and a 6-shot 625 with full moons. I've also got a pinned & recessed Highway Patrolman that's fun to shoot with full house .357s.

For rifles I really like bolt guns. A few pre-64 Mod 70s in .308 are my big faves, followed pretty closely by a CZ-550 in .308. I recently acquired an 03A3 that I haven't yet shot, though I did use it with the bayo attached to roast some wienies. For autoloaders I've got some ARs in various configurations; if I need to reach out further than that I've got a Springfield NM M1A that's crazy accurate. For those occasions in which I have to defend myself against poodles I've got a couple of M1 carbines to see me through.

Shotguns are divided by purpose. For social engagements I've got some 870s that are set up for CQB. For shooting trap I have a Belgian-made Browning Superposed that I quite like. It's a bit too heavy for my size, but it shoots like a house afire, and it's so purty you just gotta love it.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

My only experience is with a Browning 9mm, did ok with it and passed the tests I was required to pass but can't say I found it anywhere near as accurate as my compound bow.
    Here in the TCI you can get a license to own and carry a handgun fairly easily if you own a business. With the level of illegal immigration there is a problem with illegal guns and some gun crime, If things got to the point I felt I needed a gun then it would be time for me to leave.
    As a Brit the concept of gun ownership just does not sit easily. Having said that, if I was in the US with free time on my hands I would be quite interested in a visit to a range .
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

14. Likes pepperami, T Bone, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    What do I know about pistols ?! ..... Just this:
    Name:  1978.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  91.6 KB
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    I'm not a 'collector' per se, as I only own pieces I actually use, and don't imagine myself ever buying a gun that I didn't intend to use. With that said I do have a pile of irons.

For pistols I favor 1911s. Always steel, always .45 ACP, almost always full size, though I do have a few Combat Commanders. For nine millies I quite like my HKs -- P7M8, USP9f, and P9S; I also like my CZs -- a 75B and a PCR. My one Glock is a Gen 3 G17 that, while being the single ugliest gun I own, is also quite accurate and tediously reliable. My latest acquisition is a Mauser P08 that I haven't yet had a chance to shoot. It's heavy as a Buick and the rear sight is so small it makes the sights on a USGI 1911 look like the Golden Gate Bridge. Nevertheless, it's about as mechanically solid as anything ever made.

For revolvers I'm definitely an S&W kinda guy. Got a J frame, a horde of L frames, and a couple N frames to boot. I think my favorites of the lot are a 7-shot 686 and a 6-shot 625 with full moons. I've also got a pinned & recessed Highway Patrolman that's fun to shoot with full house .357s.

For rifles I really like bolt guns. A few pre-64 Mod 70s in .308 are my big faves, followed pretty closely by a CZ-550 in .308. I recently acquired an 03A3 that I haven't yet shot, though I did use it with the bayo attached to roast some wienies. For autoloaders I've got some ARs in various configurations; if I need to reach out further than that I've got a Springfield NM M1A that's crazy accurate. For those occasions in which I have to defend myself against poodles I've got a couple of M1 carbines to see me through.

Shotguns are divided by purpose. For social engagements I've got some 870s that are set up for CQB. For shooting trap I have a Belgian-made Browning Superposed that I quite like. It's a bit too heavy for my size, but it shoots like a house afire, and it's so purty you just gotta love it.
    Well, by many people's definition you are a Collector then. I do consider myself one, but also have none I don't shoot/use (and carry). It's just that my collection focuses on useful firearms for the most part (even if the usefulness is simply fun at the range, such as my Rossi Ranch Hand). I don't consider any as investments or worry about maintaining them in utter pristine condition to prevent loss of value (like the guys who will buy a perfectly good Single Action Army and then install a zip tie to ensure the cylinder never gets turned- blasphemy!). Call it what you will, looks like we are in the minority on THIS board in this subject, but that doesn't deter me in the least.

BTW, my favorite 1911 is a Wilson Combat CQB, and it is as utterly tediously reliable as my own Glocks, though it is a whole lot sexier! Don't have a Combat Commander any more (once did, my first 1911). I do have a 3 inch Micro from Springfield, which has been flawless after a trip back to them (not really proper to alter the 1911 platform to such proportions though). What is your favorite 1911?
    Last edited by T Bone; Jun 13, 2015 at 07:05 PM.
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!