Likes Likes:  77
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Name Brand WIS

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    special as it has the right hands
    I see what you did there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Lisa and I went for our Valentines Day Lunch by the water today around 1pm. Things were good until this older gentleman came up and said you need to sell me that watch. If you saw todays WRUW thread it was Batman's day out of the box. With no intention of selling I listened to his offer which was pretty close to retail plus tax. I said thank you, but no, and expected him to go away. From that point forward about every three to five minutes he kept coming back raising his bid by like $50, which I declined. Finally after the forth or fifth time I said have you googled one of these to see what they sell for. He said yes, but I'm not paying that amount of money. I told him neither would I, so maybe you should put your name on a list and wait for it at the AD. Then he said what I really want is the Pepsi version. I told him I have that too, but it's also not for sale. He did not believe me so I showed him a picture. Lisa found this all kind of amusing, given some of the ladies next to us started asking about the watch. I will say I was a bit annoyed given the day he choose to do this. Luckily by this time we had finished our meal we said good bye, and rushed out to the valet to get our car.

I guess the lesson here is sometimes the notice of a WIS is not appropriate or wanted.
    Last edited by Samanator; Feb 15, 2020 at 02:56 AM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

^^Lol, I wonder what *his* date thought about his use of Valentine’s Day?
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

5. Likes CFR, Dimman, skywatch, rodia77, Raza, Samanator liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    Lisa and I went for our Valentines Day Lunch ...I guess the lesson here is sometimes the notice of a WIS is not appropriate or wanted.
    Not only does this happen NEVER TO ME ... or most people ... but that sounds like a very annoying person. It sorta makes me glad I like weird vintage and lesser known brands, because that would bother me. (Well, OK, I admit if he had offered twice its value it might not have bothered me, or maybe a little less.)
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

7. Likes Samanator liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    Any bird that dates a guy like that was probably well impressed with his bank balance and haggling abilities.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

9. Likes rodia77, Samanator, Dimman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    Lisa and I went for our Valentines Day Lunch by the water today around 1pm. Things were good until this older gentleman came up and said you need to sell me that watch. If you saw todays WRUW thread it was Batman's day out of the box. With no intention of selling I listened to his offer which was pretty close to retail plus tax. I said thank you, but no, and expected him to go away. From that point forward about every three to five minutes he kept coming back raising his bid by like $50, which I declined. Finally after the forth or fifth time I said have you googled one of these to see what they sell for. He said yes, but I'm not paying that amount of money. I told him neither would I, so maybe you should put your name on a list and wait for it at the AD. Then he said what I really want is the Pepsi version. I told him I have that too, but it's also not for sale. He did not believe me so I showed him a picture. Lisa found this all kind of amusing, given some of the ladies next to us started asking about the watch. I will say I was a bit annoyed given the day he choose to do this. Luckily by this time we had finished our meal we said good bye, and rushed out to the valet to get our car.

I guess the lesson here is sometimes the notice of a WIS is not appropriate or wanted.
    What a jerk. I wouldn't have been nearly as polite.

Maybe I'm an idealist, but to me, that person isn't a WIS. A WIS is someone like the people here--genuinely interested in watches for the sake of their history, and their artistic and mechanical features. Not a bottom feeding status seeker.

If that guy had been a WIS, he would have complimented you on it, said it was on his wish list, and moved on. Like any polite, well-mannered person would have.

Name Brand WIS

Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    I believe he was fly solo. He seemed to be hitting on these two girls that seemed relieved when he started bothering us. These were the same that were asking Lisa about the watch later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Samanator; Feb 15, 2020 at 02:13 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

12. Likes OhDark30, Dimman, synequano liked this post
    He wasn't being an appreciative WIS, he was being intrusive and I think it rolled into being rude.

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019

14. Likes Samanator, Dimman liked this post

Name Brand WIS

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Not only does this happen NEVER TO ME ... or most people ... but that sounds like a very annoying person. It sorta makes me glad I like weird vintage and lesser known brands, because that would bother me. (Well, OK, I admit if he had offered twice its value it might not have bothered me, or maybe a little less.)
    It's not like we never go to this restaurant. We had our first real date there, and I wear all kinds of watches there all the time (including the Pepsi). It's technically walking distance from the house. Ever more strange yesterday was one of the few times I had a shirt on with long sleeves. So how he even spotted it is strange.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Samanator; Feb 15, 2020 at 02:29 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

He was casing the joint to see if it was genuine. Now he knows you have a Pepsi too, and he saw you scrolling through other pictures of watches. Then he saw you walking home to your house.

Next week you’ll be robbed.

17. Likes Samanator liked this post