Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: From the Beginning

Blog Entries

From the Beginning

Sometimes you hear a track that takes you back 40 years and yet it sounds as fresh as when you heard it the first time. To wit: Emerson, Lake and Palmer's "From the Beginning." Enjoy.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

2. Likes ljb187, Raza, T Bone, hayday, JohnF liked this post
    At last .... Your taste is coming round Ray

4. Likes hayday liked this post
    These guys have completed eluded me...not sure why? I do like this track..the 2 chord rhythm guitrar immediately made me think of this aul chestnut..

https://youtu.be/8gblXJ8j_AU

6. Likes ljb187, T Bone liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperami View Post
    These guys have completed eluded me...not sure why?
    No I'm not sure why either lol , they were HUGE back in the day , they used to take their gear to gigs in SEVERAL branded artic's

Blog Entries
    Hmm, that was really good. Never heard of the guys though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Hmm, that was really good. Never heard of the guys though.
    ELP were one of the first "supergroups" in progressive rock. Emerson previously played with The Nice. Palmer was in Atomic Rooster and later with Asia. Lake was from King Crimson. They are probably best known for the single "Lucky Man." They also popularized a couple of Aaron Copland compositions - "Fanfare for the Common Man" and "Hoedown."

And of course:

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

10. Likes JohnF liked this post
    A handful of radio songs from the early 70s have this effect. Two sides (no pun...although that does kinda work out) to this:

I remember hearing Elton John's Daniel for the first time on a clock radio while using way too much Testers to build a hot rod model. This song let me know there'd be a whole lot out going on when I got older that I wasn't going to understand or like. Made me feel melancholy at the time, still does without fail today.

But...the one that never, ever gets old is Sweet City Woman by the Stampeders. It's everything a fella could want from 1973 and a whole lot more. Forty plus years down the line and I'm not sure anyone yet has packed so much friendliness into a dopey three minute pop tune. I'll go to my grave knowing this is a better record than A Day in the Life.

So, one song's about loss while the other's about anticipation and macaroons. I'll take the latter nearly every time.

I always had trouble with complicated rock: Rush, Yes, Genesis, ELP, King Crimson...though I like ELO if that counts. Three chord songs that chug along are more my speed.
    Last edited by ljb187; Jun 14, 2015 at 11:05 PM. Reason: repeating words drives me nuts

12. Likes pepperami liked this post
    This one takes me right back, Sunday morning was music time and my late dad played all sorts of Oldies..this one gives me fond memories of my early childhood..

Boy the hollies could harmonise

https://youtu.be/SXErg54qrb4

Emerson, Lake and Palmer's "From the Beginning."
    One of ELP's best songs, IMHO. Love the acoustical guitar at the start of the song.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    No I'm not sure why either lol , they were HUGE back in the day , they used to take their gear to gigs in SEVERAL branded artic's
    Branded Artics? Okay, I am thinking these may be large trucks (Loreys?) Though Artic seems to imply refrigerated (Reefer's to truck drivers here in the "Colonies"). ?? (Google was no help to me on this one....).
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

16. Likes Seriously liked this post