Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: From the Beginning

ELP was a hugely influential and popular group of the 1970s. Oddly, they seem to have near totally missed the wave of "Classic Rock" that has been so popular for last 20+ years.

Their music always reminded me of sort of a bridge between the styles of two other pivotal bands from the day, Pink Floyd and Yes. With an album title such as Brain Salad Surgery, how could they not have been popular!

Quote Originally Posted by RayMac
    ...They are probably best known for the single "Lucky Man."...
    Let's not forget this little beauty...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8VHHcd0M_o
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Branded Artics? Okay, I am thinking these may be large trucks (Loreys?) Though Artic seems to imply refrigerated (Reefer's to truck drivers here in the "Colonies"). ?? (Google was no help to me on this one....).
    Artic(ultated) trucks , if they were reefer's they'd be arctic's and they'd be of course.

They got a bit self indulgent back in the day , here is an idea of what they carried their kit round in:

Branded Artic's

That took a bit of finding

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Artic(ultated) trucks , if they were reefer's they'd be arctic's and they'd be of course.

They got a bit self indulgent back in the day , here is an idea of what they carried their kit round in:

Branded Artic's

Of course! Just realized the missing C for Arctic. And as far as articulating trucks, never heard the term. Often called a Tractor Trailer rig or a "Semi" (long i) here in the US of A.

I wonder if they always convoyed in the "correct" order (so from the air front to back it would read "Emerson Lake Palmer")? I'm guessing probably not...
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

Articulated LORRIES!!!!! What kind of Englishman are you?

Branded Artic's

Artic' , Arctic, LORRY ! , truck , schmuck all the same to me

Just happened across this , which you will find amusing

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/E...ake_%26_Palmer

They got a bit self indulgent back in the day
    Just a bit...

They were the Argentinosaurus of the dinosaur bands. They could certainly play, but it all got a bit daft. The punk bands referred to ELP more often than anyone when saying what punk was a reaction to.

8. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Just happened across this , which you will find amusing

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/E...ake_%26_Palmer

Indeed I did - Cheered me up no end
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Blog Entries
    A handful of radio songs from the early 70s have this effect.
    I remember hearing this one for the first time on a tinny AM radio in my 1969 Valiant. Sounds a bit better on satellite radio.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

Quote Originally Posted by RayMac View Post
    I remember hearing this one for the first time on a tinny AM radio in my 1969 Valiant. Sounds a bit better on satellite radio.

I'd have to go for the Valiant and its AM radio - so long as the brakes still worked. I mostly know the Doobie Brothers hits, but all my friends and I still remember them playing on What's Happening!!. It was a weird choice but they performed a mini-concert that lasted 12 minutes (2:12 in).

Does that guitar sound a little like Carlos Santana? I checked and it looks like they came up at roughly the same time so I doubt there's much influence either way.
    Last edited by ljb187; Jun 15, 2015 at 11:13 PM. Reason: trying to get rid of those pesky extra words