Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Fascinating study of how Seiko outperformed Longines in developing the first quartz

Fascinating study of how Seiko outperformed Longines in developing the first quartz

I turned this up looking for something else and spent half an hour absolutely spell bound - it's undeniably a bit dry and academic in both tone and content, but very detailed and gives a slightly different (and wholly believable) account of why the Swiss suffered so badly at the hands of the Japanese.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.ed...3b34131a94ad4b

It's not a quick read, but it is a worthy one, which is why I thought I'd share it.

Oh, and in a bit of an exclusive, the Smiths Quasar, the first British quartz watch, used an Intersil CMOS using a 6 rather than 10 micrometer process that allowed Smiths to get a 7^1- 3^3 - 2^13 cascade and all the gubbins into a single low drain IC despite running a high frequency lenticular quartz. (That was what I was looking for!)

2. Likes FSM71, OhDark30 liked this post
    Another cool Quasar find - well done!
    It’s always nice to hear about *elegant* solutions to problems

And the Seiko article link isn’t working for me :-(
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    And the Seiko article link isn’t working for me :-(

Not for me, either.

5. Likes rodia77 liked this post

7. Likes rodia77, OhDark30, Matt liked this post

9. Likes OhDark30 liked this post

Thanks all
    Interesting read
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

Thanks all, I really should know to check a link first by now!