Likes Likes:  42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seiko SRP777

Seiko SRP777

Arrived today, and for little over £250 this is a hell of a watch.

Name:  E320053B-C987-4F58-BECD-1C05F054E65E.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  93.4 KB

Ten years ago, I arrived home from a watch fair delighted with a 6309, which I then found to be a dud. Ugh. Now I have the same delight, with no plunging despondency to come. I’ll struggle to remember the model number, because to me this is a 6309 made new.

The strap came off, to be replaced with an Uncle Seiko GL831. Much better. Flat vent rather than curved, rubber rather than PU, no oversized buckle, no metal keeper, and usefully shorter. More authentic too, because it’s a more supple copy of the original.

Also like the original, there’s some magic going on, because there’s no way this is a 44mm watch. It’s a big (and lovely) lump of metal, but it feels the size it ought to be and there’s no sense of your wrist being overwhelmed. I wouldn’t want it on a bracelet, though.

Name:  70425F83-6ED1-4FCB-B899-F121E8578807.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  3751FB0E-5E51-4CC4-A270-387B1822CBEA.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  65.5 KB

And wonder of wonders, there are no misalignments. Bezel, chapter ring - all perfectly precise and orderly. No real grit in the crown tube either, and it’s a smooth and easy winder. I’m impressed. Good old Seiko, with its characterful classics.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Arrived today, and for little over £250 this is a hell of a watch.

Name:  E320053B-C987-4F58-BECD-1C05F054E65E.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  93.4 KB

Ten years ago, I arrived home from a watch fair delighted with a 6309, which I then found to be a dud. Ugh. Now I have the same delight, with no plunging despondency to come. I’ll struggle to remember the model number, because to me this is a 6309 made new.

The strap came off, to be replaced with an Uncle Seiko GL831. Much better. Flat vent rather than curved, rubber rather than PU, no oversized buckle, no metal keeper, and usefully shorter. More authentic too, because it’s a more supple copy of the original.

Also like the original, there’s some magic going on, because there’s no way this is a 44mm watch. It’s a big (and lovely) lump of metal, but it feels the size it ought to be and there’s no sense of your wrist being overwhelmed. I wouldn’t want it on a bracelet, though.

Name:  70425F83-6ED1-4FCB-B899-F121E8578807.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  3751FB0E-5E51-4CC4-A270-387B1822CBEA.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  65.5 KB

And wonder of wonders, there are no misalignments. Bezel, chapter ring - all perfectly precise and orderly. No real grit in the crown tube either, and it’s a smooth and easy winder. I’m impressed. Good old Seiko, with its characterful classics.
    Congrats Alan. I wish I knew of these straps. I fully agree about the bracelet. I tried a few straps including the OEM and did not find the right one. The OEM silicon was soft but way too long. That I don't see this one almost touching he bezel indicates it is a better solution.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

3. Likes tribe125 liked this post
    Congrats on your new arrival.

It's no good when I have these questions on my mind first when reading a Seiko review. Were you concerned till it arrived and you could inspect?

Very nice, Alan. And yes, you'd never know it was 44mm, it sits perfectly nicely on your wrist.

6. Likes tribe125, iyonk liked this post
    I need to get one of those straps for my turtle. Thanks for the tip, Alan.
    Last edited by CFR; Feb 19, 2020 at 08:30 PM. Reason: typo

8. Likes tribe125 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    I wish I knew of these straps. I fully agree about the bracelet. I tried a few straps including the OEM and did not find the right one. The OEM silicon was soft but way too long. That I don't see this one almost touching he bezel indicates it is a better solution.

I didn’t know about these straps myself until a few days ago. Fortunately for me, Uncle Seiko has a UK outpost, so it arrived a day before the watch. Just a little Googling shows that they’re well-regarded.

The tip of the strap is ‘all the way down there’ on my 7.5” wrist -

Name:  70ABA54C-FA1D-458A-887C-3B6B314FEB56.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  36.2 KB

and the buckle sits in a reasonable place -

Name:  A26A799B-7675-4AF6-AB12-720B5952C328.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  33.4 KB

He also sells a shorter version, which he recommends for wrists below 7”.

10. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    It's no good when I have these questions on my mind first when reading a Seiko review. Were you concerned till it arrived and you could inspect?

Not really. I think the issue is a little exaggerated, or at least unfair on Seiko, because all kinds of brands have small issues. I could live with minor imperfections at this price level, especially in a genuinely toolish thing. I’d already decided not to be bothered by something that was only really noticeable if you were looking for it. As it happens, it’s been screwed together with more precision than some expensive watches that I’ve owned.

12. Likes rodia77, CFR, gnuyork liked this post
    Not really. I think the issue is a little exaggerated, or at least unfair on Seiko, because all kinds of brands have small issues. I could live with minor imperfections at this price level, especially in a genuinely toolish thing. I’d already decided not to be bothered by something that was only really noticeable if you were looking for it. As it happens, it’s been screwed together with more precision than some expensive watches that I’ve owned.
    think it could be said of most brands as the slightly defects seem to all come from certain places in my experiences always wonder if that was why the prices always seem good . I always thought they was seconds as in QC fail stock remember it being the same whether citizen orient seiko or ect ect .

the old adage you pay for what you get springs to mind ..

glad your experience with this one was so good

did you say where you bought it from ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    did you say where you bought it from ?

I didn't, but it was this German eBay seller -

Name:  81055192-4223-459D-A91E-EC332EC7F086.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  31.5 KB

The accompanying documents showed that the seller is a shop in Düsseldorf -

https://juwelier-noelle.de/

On the ‘seconds’ theory - I’ve never really subscribed to it, having seen no evidence.

In passing, I’d say that I’m not entirely convinced by some reports of alignment issues either. Cameras are rarely held at a flat angle, and some gimlet-eyed complainants seem over-enthusiastic in their complaints.

15. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    I can't remember seeing misalignment reports that wouldn't be accompanied by credible pics. And I've seen many more such reports than I would like to.