Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kayaks - I'm finally one of the paddling fold

Solipsistic Philosopher mpfrost's Avatar
    Not far from the geographic center of the contiguous 48.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewalrus View Post
    Unfortunately that's not my Seamaster - that's another member's SMP who's also a folding kayak enthusiast. I don't think I was wearing a watch in the picture I posted above - though normally I would be seen in and around the water in either my Doxa 1000T or my Tudor Black Bay (which is unfortunately going in for repairs soon).
    Ah, my mistake then. Nonetheless, congrats on entering a very fun hobby. And here's hoping you get your Black Bay back soon
    I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul

Blog Entries
    I would love to get back into kayaking. It'll be mostly renting for me, as I've yet to figure out a way to strap a kayak to the Z4.

Solipsistic Philosopher mpfrost's Avatar
    Not far from the geographic center of the contiguous 48.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I would love to get back into kayaking. It'll be mostly renting for me, as I've yet to figure out a way to strap a kayak to the Z4.
    I occasionally rent myself. I assume you mean BMW Z4? I've seen Kayaks nearly as big as that car. Understandable.
    I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Just buy an inflatable, like my wife's. Or the Feathercraft Aironaut. Compresses to the size of a small suitecase, and takes 5 minutes to set up.

Seriously, though. I hear you. Two seat roadsters and kayaking are tough to reconcile. Especially when you consider all the other gear you need - paddles, spray skirts, a change of clothes, life jackets, lines, and so on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfrost View Post
    I occasionally rent myself. I assume you mean BMW Z4? I've seen Kayaks nearly as big as that car. Understandable.
    Yeah, 2006 BMW Z4 (6 speed manual, of course). It's my one true love, and my only car.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thewalrus View Post
    Just buy an inflatable, like my wife's. Or the Feathercraft Aironaut. Compresses to the size of a small suitecase, and takes 5 minutes to set up.

Seriously, though. I hear you. Two seat roadsters and kayaking are tough to reconcile. Especially when you consider all the other gear you need - paddles, spray skirts, a change of clothes, life jackets, lines, and so on.
    I don't know about inflatable things on the water. I used to have an air mattress...doesn't inspire confidence. And I'm not too strong a swimmer. I won't sink, mind you, but I can't hold my own against Michael Phelps.

When I went last, it was just the boat, the paddle, and a life vest. I almost didn't want to wear the vest, since I can swim, but someone told me of a time they lost it and hit their head on a rock. Without a helmet, they'd have been knocked unconscious. Can't swim very well if you're unconscious. At least with a a life jacket, you'll float. Looking cool definitely is second to not drowning.