Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You wait ages for an affordable, minimalist, smallish quartz watch...

You wait ages for an affordable, minimalist, smallish quartz watch...

...and then 2 come at once.
    I've wanted a dressyish inexpensive quartz watch for a while and had 2 in my sights, a Bulova and an Accurist. Both were more than I was happy to pay, so I used camelcamelcamel to watch for price drops on Amazon. Both watches dropped to £10 below my preferred price within 24 hours of each other.
    What's a poor watch lover to do? Naturally I bought both
    I paid just under £80 for the pair, and while that wasn't the deal of the century, I certainly don't feel like I've been ripped off.

IMG_1722.JPG by Olly Clarke, on Flickr

The Accurist is probably my favourite of the two (and was cheaper)- it's 40mm with 20mm lugs and a really nice vintage vibe. I've seen a lot of people on forums say "if you want a watch that looks vintage, buy a vintage watch" and I get that, but for £30 this seems like a great way to get the vibe without the headaches. Case and dial are nicely done for the price, no idea of the origin of the movement but it seems solid enough, and the domed plexi is really nice. Drilled lugs too!

IMG_1723.JPG by Olly Clarke, on Flickr

The Bulova is lovely and slim (7mm), with a subtle sunburst dial and nice polished markers. Not overly keen in the strap, but I'm sure I have something that will suit it. It feels, I have to say, like a very classy watch for not a lot of money.

IMG_1724.JPG by Olly Clarke, on Flickr

All in all, I'm very happy with the pair, and whilst they have similarities on paper, they are sufficiently different from each other to justify their places in my watch box

Blog Entries
    The Accurist is nice, but that Bulova is really pretty. Nice score!

That Accurist does have a great vintage look to it. If you had just posted pictures of it, I would not have guessed it was a modern quartz.

4. Likes JAGtime, popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    The Accurist is nice, but that Bulova is really pretty. Nice score!

Thanks, Raza, I think Ray has one as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    That Accurist does have a great vintage look to it. If you had just posted pictures of it, I would not have guessed it was a modern quartz.
    Yes, apart from the more modern size (and the movement of course) it's very faithful.
    I think it's a tribute to their Shockmaster line.

6. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Wow! These look impressively good for their price!!! I love the bauhaus look a lot. Certainly something worth having a look at. Nice find and thanks for sharing.

Congrats and enjoy both of these beauties!
    ~Daniel~

very nice for small outlay -thankfully the Accurist was founded in Clerkenwell and not Crouch End or Cockfosters or similar

9. Likes JAGtime, OhDark30 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    very nice for small outlay -thankfully the Accurist was founded in Clerkenwell and not Crouch End or Cockfosters or similar
    Ha ha ha good point!
    Quote Originally Posted by DM71 View Post
    Wow! These look impressively good for their price!!! I love the bauhaus look a lot. Certainly something worth having a look at. Nice find and thanks for sharing.

Congrats and enjoy both of these beauties!
    Thanks

I really like both of those watches, Olly! Very classy minimalist style. Congratulations on your great find.

12. Likes whatmeworry liked this post
    Very nice, Olly! I can appreciate how both have a place in your collection; I think that Bulova is just classically beautiful, and the Accurist has such a wonderful vintage look. Congrats!

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

Two great looking watches there, congratulations.
    I know what you mean about similar but different enough, I'm sure you'll get plenty of enjoyment from them.
    Enjoy and wear them in good health.
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches