Likes Likes:  14

Thread: I'm Bill

Threaded View

I'm Bill

Hi,

It's nice to meet everyone here. I'm a watch collecting, American writer living in Tokyo. I write books for a living and write about wristwatches for fun, too. (More about that in a moment.)

One of my first watches was this Wittnauer that belonged to my father. My dad didn't like wearing watches, so he gave it to me while I was still a kid. Somehow I managed to hold onto it during my pre-teen and teenage years.
    Name:  Copy of 20150614_093441-004.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  58.8 KB
    Yay, success uploading a photo on my first post here.

Over the years, I collected this and that without any real appreciation of watches, how they work, or their history. Lately, I've been expanding my knowledge of watches and my collection. I recently bought a Grand Seiko SBGW031, which is an absolutely elegant looking watch. I have to say this about my Grand Seiko: It winds so smoothly that winding it is a pleasure, and never an obligation. My watch tastes are still somewhat all over the map. I like microbrands as well as watches from more established companies.

I post various musings and thoughts about watches on my personal website. I recently came across an article that appeared in the New York Times in 1913, which suggested the possibility that watches on shoes were the wave of the future, instead of the "fad" of watches on wrists. I posted that article here: http://goo.gl/2M6rKa.

I look forward to many long, interesting conversations about watches.

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Adler; Jun 17, 2015 at 11:57 AM.