Likes Likes:  43
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unpredictable and unplanned

Unpredictable and unplanned

Today I had lunch with a friend. He is interested on a Laco Memminglen Blaue Stunde (a 42mm case, blue dial Type A handwinding – ETA2801.2 – pilot watch) but, undecided about the size – pilot watches tend to look overpowering - he ordered the less expensive and smaller Augsburg (340€ plus shipping) to try on.

Name:  P2270005.JPG
Views: 264
Size:  403.1 KB

He kept the stickers on the watch, tried it on for a few minutes and found it to wear too small for his taste. The 39mm Augsburg is all dial, but perhaps the 18mm lugs make it wear much smaller than expected.

Name:  P2270004.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  422.3 KB

Unworn, the Augsburg was supposed to go back to Laco and be replaced by the Memminglen.

- I wish I could avoid the trouble to send this thing back. I have a lot of work to do…unless…do you think 250€ would be an attractive price for this watch?

Easy answer for me:

- Yes, definitely.
    - Good. It's yours!
    - What? Say again?!

He knows me too well: it was a trap! Obviously,I came back with a watch from a brand I was not supposed to buy again –technically, I didn't buy from them, though.

Name:  P2270003_1.JPG
Views: 364
Size:  395.7 KB

So, what do we have here?

Name:  P2270012.JPG
Views: 266
Size:  168.8 KB

A 39mm sandblasted case, blue (with a sunray pattern) Type A dial, 18mm lugs and sapphire crystal (front and back).

Name:  P2270010.JPG
Views: 266
Size:  277.8 KB

The movement is the Miyota 821A, but since around July last year, Miyota has been quietly improving their 8X series movements to allow hacking and this watch already has the upgraded movement.

Name:  P2270009.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  461.1 KB

I prefer my Aachen Taupe – let's put that right out of the way; the taupe B dial and the brushed case work together really well. That said, I have to admit this Augsburg has a very attractive dial, going from the most exuberant blue to a most discrete (almost) black. Apart from my Seiko Turtle, I didn't have a watch with a blue dial. Besides, the Turtle has a very discrete blue, only fully evident under direct sunlight; most of the time it looks black.

Name:  P2270008.JPG
Views: 261
Size:  219.3 KB

The lume is the greenish Superlumiova C3 instead of the blueish C1 used on the Aachen Taupe, but there's plenty of it.

Name:  P2270013 copy.JPG
Size:  124.4 KB

I don't dislike the sandblasted case, because it helps to tone down the whole package. The original NATO strap has the right colour match, but the wrong quality. It only helps a relatively thick watch to float a bit more above the wrist and it's not comfortable: easy to fix.

Name:  P2270016.JPG
Size:  208.6 KB

As always, I include the Timegrapher measurements, and they're ok. These cheap movements are not horrible, but can be widely unstable. For that reason, each measurement represents the average of a group of readings taken during a 30s period.

Position
    Rate (s/d)
    Amplitude (49º lift angle)
    Beat error (ms)
    Dial up
    +1
    Dial down
    +5
    Crown up
    Crown down
    +2
    Crown left
    Crown right
    +2
    Delta
    Average (s/d)
    +2
    Last edited by CFR; Feb 27, 2020 at 07:11 PM.

Wow that really looks nice, love the blue dial and no date, . . . if it was a hand wind it would be perfect (for me), congrats on a very nice watch!!!!

3. Likes CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by uchinanchu View Post
    Wow that really looks nice, love the blue dial and no date, . . . if it was a hand wind it would be perfect (for me), congrats on a very nice watch!!!!
    Thank you!

They do have a hand wind but with a 42mm case. That's the one my friend has just ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    I didn't have a watch with a blue dial.

I used this justification when buying the latest Zodiac Topper Rally.

Great looking watch, I always prefer arabics and I'm a big fan of both A and B dial fliegers.

6. Likes CFR liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Nice package, excellent size, beautiful dial, and a great value from a friend. That's easy to like!
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

8. Likes CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    - I wish I could avoid the trouble to send this thing back. I have a lot of work to do…unless…do you think 250€ would be an attractive price for this watch?

Easy answer for me:

- Yes, definitely.
    - Good. It's yours!
    - What? Say again?!

He knows me too well: it was a trap! Obviously,I came back with a watch from a brand I was not supposed to buy again –technically, I didn't buy from them, though.
    You got tricked like a kiddo!
    Congrats!

10. Likes CFR liked this post
    Fantastic! Always love a good bargain too. It's essentially how I got my Khaki Field (with stickers still on). Previous buyer immediately thought it was too small for his wrist.

I think I'd like one of these in the 39mm size one day. A or B dial, I like both.
    Last edited by gnuyork; Feb 27, 2020 at 05:01 PM.

12. Likes CFR liked this post
    Very cool, and at a friends & family discount too.

14. Likes CFR liked this post
    I thought I’d never seen that in the WRUW threads before today...

You know how much I dislike blue dials , so there you go. Looks great, 39mm is a nice size. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes CFR liked this post
    In terms of ‘no choice but to buy’, this one was off the scale.

Congratulations!

18. Likes CFR, iyonk liked this post