Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help figuring out USPS fees

Need help figuring out USPS fees

Question mostly to our friends across the pond, I think.

I'm considering buying a backpack in the US, the price is $40.

The seller has activated Ireland for me, and the shipping fee is... $51.

Now, I thought I'd still have to pay VAT+customs, say $30-40, and we had this exchange:

Quote Originally Posted by him
    The fee listed is the total cost since we use USPS. At least that's what I am aware of.
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    I'm not sure what you mean -- that the $51 includes a deposit for customs fees? Given the substantial amount, that would make sense, but is there a way to confirm it?
    Quote Originally Posted by him
    No I wouldn't be able to confirm it, to many international laws make it unpredictable. However we specifically used USPS because they told us everything is included in the fee.
    Now, with the shipping fee this high, it WOULD make sense to me that it includes tax+customs deposits (just like when you buy from Amazon or eBay with the 'global shipping' option, and they charge you the fees in advance so you don't have to worry about dealing with your customs office), but then I don't really know.

If I'm to pay $40+50, I'm still willing to consider the purchase if this is exactly the product I want (it's not available in EU).

If I"m to pay $40+80, I think I'm passing because even though I'm prepared to shell out about Ä100 for this purchase, I just can't accept this rip-off ratio.

So, would you folks know if USPS international shipping covers tax+customs when entering the destination country?

https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator...59&m=12&dvi=40

Whenever a U S parcel sent to me in U K carriage cost is a whopper . Then , as carriage is added to the goods cost , a double whamy in P O release cost.
    Only a few get through without a charge

3. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strela167 View Post
    https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator...59&m=12&dvi=40

Whenever a U S parcel sent to me in U K carriage cost is a whopper . Then , as carriage is added to the goods cost , a double whamy in P O release cost.
    Only a few get through without a charge
    depends what side of the boarder he's is I thought the roi did not fall under the same vat as not associated with the uk ?

once a long time ago I bought something from america and they wanted twice what the item cost in various fees a friend in ireland order it for me and had it sent to him and the fees was nominal even with him posting on to me it was less then half the postal fees
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

5. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    depends what side of the boarder he's is I thought the roi did not fall under the same vat as not associated with the uk ?
    Works the same. Perhaps people count on packages slipping through holes in the system, and I remember a few years ago it was a gamble, but now in my experience 90% of the time I have to pay VAT+duty+handling, which amounts to 25-30% of the item+ship value.

And apparently the same will apply to items shipped from UK now: https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-tr...als/index.aspx

am surprised at one time was sure it work better when punts rather then pound's was used
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Iíd think that it *doesnít* include fees, but you need more info

With product weight and knowing the level of service heís gone for (eg tracking, insurance, signature required, speed of service) you can check on the USPS website

Iíve eaten high shipping when buying things I really wanted from the US but agree that customs/VAT *on top* of what heís quoted is a bit much
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

9. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Oh, btw of nothing in particular, on my hunt I found backpacks with a wait list for them!

You shoulda just had me bring it in October

12. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    I thought after I'd bought three backpacks in one year I was done with them!

Iím not surprised at the waitlist!

I was in the market for a backpack last year:
    I was looking for something to tick *all* my boxes and last a long time

I went for Recycled Firefighterís 12 Hour pack. Itís spendy at $149 but overbuilt and looks like it will easily last a decade
    It fits A4 folders, has good internal organisation and a hydration port, opens flat for packing
    The carry handle is really solid, and 12 litres is the perfect day/ weekend size for me
    Plus, I got mine in a sale :-)
    https://recycledfirefighter.com/prod...12-hr-backpack
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

15. Likes rodia77 liked this post