Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnetized?

Magnetized?

If a new watch (hand wind) is supposed to have a power reserve (no indicator) of 43 hrs but seems to only have a reserve of 28 hrs do you think it is magnetized?
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

Oh is that the Nomos?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    If a new watch (hand wind) is supposed to have a power reserve (no indicator) of 43 hrs but seems to only have a reserve of 28 hrs do you think it is magnetized?
    I think it unlikely to be the cause - It would have to be one hell of a magnetic charge to affect the mainspring ! Usually it's the haispring that gets charged and causes 'it' to run fast. Simple test - Just pass a compass over it and see if the needle/pointer is affected.
    More likely to be something fouling the mainspring and preventing it from fully coiling or uncoiling.

EDIT: Should have included uncoiling in the last sentence (fixed). Prompted by other posters.
    Last edited by crownpuller; Jun 20, 2015 at 05:18 PM.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

4. Likes Der Amf, CFR, MarkO, Nokie liked this post
    Also if it's running on time then it won't be magnetised. Dunno what could be responsible for the short PR, though. .
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Hands up everyone else who gets muddled up between hairspring and mainspring all the time

possible damage to the main spring so it only hold a (particle) change think I have spelt that wrong but you know what I mean

hmmm yeah D.A
    Last edited by is that my watch; Jun 20, 2015 at 04:19 PM.
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Hands up everyone else who gets muddled up between hairspring and mainspring all the time

all the time
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

9. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Had something similar with a 31. Worn fine. Very accurate as to be expected too. Left face up stopped over night, wouldn't wind much either. Crown up/down the usual 63 hrs. or so, with the wind forever as expected hand wind.
    Seems to have settled in now.
    Suspect something 'moved' in transit. Balance posistion seems most likely but unsure.
    Suggest wearing for awhile and monitor. Hope all ok.

Any chance of some piccies perhaps

11. Likes is that my watch, MarkO liked this post
    Yes, the Nomos. I don't have a compass to check with. I was thinking of asking my local watch shop to run the demagnetizer over it on the basis it would do no harm.

If the mainspring is not fully unwinding is there any other remedies?

Quote Originally Posted by Strela167 View Post
    Any chance of some piccies perhaps
    Tangente

14. Likes Strela167 liked this post