Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Breitling "In House" movements...

Breitling "In House" movements...

Been out of touch with the brand for some time. I know a lot has changed. For example, I know they've produced at least one in house movement (the B-1 is it?). Are there others, or only one so far? What watches carry their own caliber?

Back in the day of course, lots of companies produced in house. I know things changed dramatically over the years. With the Swatch group's desire to cut back (or out) of the supplier role outside their group, some companies stepped up and developed their own for at least part of the range. Any info anyone care to share on this topic?
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Any info anyone care to share on this topic?
    Sure thing...

In addition to the B01, these are the other in-house movements I'm aware of:

B02 -- a handwind 24-hr movement used in the Cosmonaute

B04 -- the chronograph/GMT movement used in the Transocean Chronograph/GMT, Navitimer GMT, Chronomat GMT

B05 -- the worldtime movement used in the Transocean Unitime Pilot

B14 -- the monopusher/chronograph movement used in the Transocean Chronograph 1915

B35 -- the three-hand/worldtime movement that just recently made an appearance in the Galactic Unitime

The list of models above is not exhaustive, but it's a start!
    Last edited by Jazzmaster; Jun 22, 2015 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmaster View Post
    Sure thing...

In addition to the B01, these are the other in-house movements I'm aware of:

B02 -- a handwind 24-hr movement used in the Cosmonaute

B04 -- the chronograph/GMT movement used in the Transocean Chronograph/GMT, Navitimer GMT, Chronomat GMT

B05 -- the worldtime movement used in the Transocean Unitime Pilot

B35 -- the three-hand/worldtime movement that just recently made an appearance in the Galactic Unitime

The list of models above is not exhaustive, but it's a start!
    Well, it's a lot more than just the B01, which was just about to come out when I lost touch with the brand!

Glad to hear they've progressed this much, very impressive indeed!

Anyone here have any of these models, or are we all still wearing our ETA and Valjoux powered B's?
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Anyone here have any of these models, or are we all still wearing our ETA and Valjoux powered B's?
    SOH so I'm still ETA
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

Blog Entries
    All of mine are quartz. I have no idea how this happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Broker View Post
    All of mine are quartz. I have no idea how this happened.
    Lol... time for a new watch then? (I know one way it happened... you got that awesome Emergency!).
    Regards, T Bone

I've got a Navitimer 01 with the B01 movement in it. The movement is okay, but not one of the better automatic chronograph movements currently available in the market.

8. Likes T Bone liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray916MN View Post
    The movement is okay, but not one of the better automatic chronograph movements currently available in the market.
    Actually, it is...

10. Likes T Bone liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmaster View Post
    Actually, it is...
    My opinion of the B01 is based on my experience with the watches I currently own. I would place the B01 I own behind the following automatic chronograph movements.

• Piguet 1185 (BP 2185, AP 2385)
    • Rolex 4130
    • Seiko Credor 6S77 (TAG 1887)
    • Seiko 8R28
    • Omega 9300
    • Omega 3313
    • Jaeger LeCoultre 752
    • Ebel 137
    • El Primero 400

I suspect (although I've handled most of them I only conclude after I have enough use experience) the B01 is inferior to these movements

• A Lange & Sohne Calibre L951.1
    • Patek Philippe 5960
    • Piaget 880P
    • Audemars Piguet 3126
    • Breguet 589F
    • GO 37

The B01 action is stiff and it is not the most positive indexing movement. I wonder if this is attributable to the Breitling patented auto-centering system for the reset hammers that was introduced on this movement.

While it is great that Breitling as well as others are now making in house movements, the supposition that these movements are superior needs to be careful examined. For example, when I looked at buying the IWC with their 89360 inhouse chronograph movement I was greatly disappointed. In use it felt significantly inferior to their version of the ETA/Valjoux 7750.

An integrated automatic chronograph is a complicated movement. Building a good one is tough. While some might be skeptical about my rating of a couple of Seiko calibres above the B01, it is important to realize Seiko has been the most prolific creator of automatic chronograph movements in history. The 8R28 is their 5th distinct automatic chronograph movement.

The preceding is why I don't feel the B01 is one of the better automatic chronograph movements. Not a bad movement, but there are a boat load of excellent competitors.

12. Likes Der Amf, T Bone, Ahriman4891 liked this post
    Thanks for your reply -- very interesting.

Looking at the field of chronograph movements in general, I think it's fair to view the B01 as one of the better chronograph movements out there. That doesn't mean, of course, that there aren't better movements than the B01. So, perhaps my initial reaction to your first post turned on semantics more than anything else.