Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Seriously gets payback

Hybrid View

Mr. Seriously gets payback

I've given Seriously a bit of of a hard time over his new car, all in fun of course, so I thought it fitting to post this...

..my American gas guzzling behemoth (23mpg/US) 1993 Lincoln TC just blew a air conditioning hose.
    One of those braided steel sheathed (original) ones.

I can't wait to see what this is going to cost.

It's ok. I've got 2 spares.

Vehicles, that is.

Name:  1ed31fb6db6521e27fc310a66b2fb0fdb4f13f39d434c6ce0c67edd00831caaf.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  62.2 KB

3. Likes boatme99 liked this post
    Love those Town Cars! All I've driven since 1990 (had about 7 of them, including 2 1994 models, one when new).

Current issue is a 2001 that I've been driving since 2007, have put over 150,000 miles on it (still gets about 23 MPG HWY). It's latest trick is to spit out spark plugs. I try hard to do most repairs myself (it's a small fraction of the cost that way). Have gotten quite adept at putting Helicoils into the heads for new spark plugs.
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

5. Likes boatme99 liked this post
    still gets about 23 MPG

and that's a good thing ?

The last thing to get 23mpg in my life was a 1972 SWB Landrover (before I went to smart) with a 2.5Litre Petrol and a two stage carb, I broke two gearboxes because it's not really supposed to have that engine bolted to it and I had huge wheels on it too
    It was great fun though when i had it .....

It got less than 20 actually , but it was fun flooring it.
    Last edited by Seriously; Jun 21, 2015 at 09:16 PM.

Are you figuring imp. gallons?
    1.2009 vs 1 would add about 4.6 mpg more.
    27.6 mpg.
    No too bad for a 4.6 ltr. 195 hp luxury vehicle.
    I can live with that.

And Ford kept tweaking the engines, so every year got a little better until they stopped making them in 2012.

My truck, a 1997 Ford 1/2 ton pick up, gets 16.5. Highway, or town. It's never really made a measurable difference.

My 2000 Continental gets 19.5 in town. I haven't actually driven any highway miles in it to check the mileage. It's just my weekend car. I haven't put more than 1500 miles on it in over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by boatme99 View Post
    No too bad for a 4.6 ltr. 195 hp luxury vehicle.
    I can live with that.

195hp from a 4.6 litre engine?
    The Jaguar XJS from the 1980's got 295hp from 5.3 litres.
    My VW diesel gets 150hp from 1.9 litres.
    Formula 1 engines get 900hp from 1.6 litre...
    Last edited by scottjc; Jun 26, 2015 at 10:16 PM.
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

Sounds like very good mpg for a car that size and that age.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

I've heard american cars don't have carburettors or fuel injection , they just pump the petrol in each cylinder via 1/2 inch hose .....

11. Likes boatme99, Chase, pepperami, popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    I've heard american cars don't have carburettors or fuel injection , they just pump the petrol in each cylinder via 1/2 inch hose .....
    Since we don't pay $15/gal (yet....), it works for us.

Seriously, considering the size of my car, it's relative safety, the amount of stuff I pile into it when off for several months work in a distant location, and how comfortable it is for a long drive, I'm very happy with it's mileage (yeah, US gallons).

I've been back and forth to Florida something like 8 times in it, Pennsylvania twice, Massachusetts twice, New York once, not to mention driving it back from California where I bought it in 2007. A truly great road car IMO. Roomy. On traveling, not uncommon for me to simply recline the seat and sleep 5-6 hours in it when drowsy, before continuing the trip (saves time, and I like to drive at odd/all hours of the night as well).
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

13. Likes boatme99 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    On traveling, not uncommon for me to simply recline the seat and sleep 5-6 hours in it when drowsy, before continuing the trip (saves time, and I like to drive at odd/all hours of the night as well).

Reminds me of

15. Likes T Bone, samael_6978 liked this post