Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Interval timer recommendations?

Question Interval timer recommendations?

Hiya.

So first I had that Timex Ironman Triathlon (specifically T5E2319J) -- I was happy with the build quality and liked the big digits, but it started losing its sound a lot and it had to go.

Then I bought and still use Casio W-756 -- OK functionally but the cheapo-cheapy-cheap feel makes me scowl every time I put it on.

I know there was a G released a good few years ago (DW-56RT?), but it seems to be a rarity these days and I don't feel like going all hunting for a piece that's going to be purely utilitarian for me.

I'm about to give Timex a second chance, there still are models with interval timer available from them, but before I do -- maybe I missed something and you have any recommendations?

I'm not interested in smart watches, wrist computers, neck stop-watches etc -- simple is good, rugged is good, energy-efficient is good, legible is good, reliable is awesome.

TIA.
    Last edited by rodia77; Jun 24, 2015 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Added links for your convenience. No connection to shops they come from.

I do not check in here much but here is my opinions on a Interval Timer watch.

It maybe cheap but the AE-1300 is a great watch with an interval timer.

It is not hampered by a limited 10 repeats as most Casio/G-Shocks are. Yes, it is basically the same as your W-756 but IMO it is a little better built. I tried out the Timex 100lap Ironman Flix but the beep between the two timers is a very faint 1 beep. Considering Timex tends to share modules across their watch lines I assume the other Timex watches will be just the same. It was barely noticeable so I have struck it from my list.
    I happen to have the DW56RTB and love it but the buttons are harder to push than on the AE-1300. So I use it as my interval timer when exercising. Besides, the AE-1300 readily available all over the place in the States. Although I am not sure how much or how available it is over in Ireland.

Here is mine from today. I messed around with the setting to get the Casio time for all their stock photo's of June 30th, 10:58:50pm since today was June 30th.

Here is another from January.

I also use the GYMBOSS and love it. It is not a watch although it has that function. It is a dedicated interval timer. This one has two intervals. Newer ones I think can do three. I had mine on an old Timex fast wrap until late last week when I received the dedicated strap for the GYMBOSS. It is great. Here are some quick and dirty photos off the back deck tonight. I use it on my bike and when doing HIIT training.

You can also look into the G-7700 and 7710 series. It is a great watch I had three but I never used it for Interval training because for me the font is too small.

Anyway there is my two cents. You may have already made a decision and moved on but if not then I hope this information helped

3. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Hah, AE-1300 totally escaped my radar, totally! Looking at pics and vids, same level of quality as W-756, more or less, though.

I found a brand I hadn't know before, Soleus -- again, judging by pics and vids only, I'd place it right next to Timex. In the end I chose to give Timex another chance and an orange TW5K86200 is now on its way to me.

Cheers.

5. Likes Rocat liked this post
    That one looks decent. Curious to see what you think of it.

Arrived: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...225#post137225

Very happy with the look and feel -- as it is with Timex, though, it'll all be about whether this particular piece *happened* to be built to last.

8. Likes Rocat liked this post
    Don't know if it was mentioned but the AE-1300 has exactly the same timer as the DW-56RT.
    WS-220 might also be worth a look. Or the STW-1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    Don't know if it was mentioned but the AE-1300 has exactly the same timer as the DW-56RT.
    I found the timers on the WS-220 and others than only go to 10 reps were not enough for me and my training. Especially when performing Hiit training and doing way more than 10 reps of 20 seconds on, 30 seconds off. I still use my WS-220 as my weekend yard work watch though. For the money it can not be beat. Your write up on it "over there" is what prompted me to buy it.

Long time no hear Sedi. How have you been? Busy I am guessing.
    Have a good day

Yes, the start of IWL collided with starting a new job which leaves me little time for the forums. I used to work 2-3 nightshifts a week in my old job and was able to surf the web the whole night. Now I work days - much better for family life but not good for forum life .

Yes, the start of IWL collided with starting a new job which leaves me little time for the forums. I used to work 2-3 nightshifts a week in my old job and was able to surf the web the whole night. Now I work days - much better for family life but not good for forum life .
    Family first watches and forum are a distant second.

Have a good day.

I knew about WS-220 but, as with W-756, small digits (I could live with them) and very weak light (quite an issue).
    STW-1000, I now remember I was eyeing it a good while ago and liked it on pics and by specs but IIRC, it was on the more expensive side ($150 or so?) and at the time I figured I didn't want to spend as much on my running watch.
    Speaking of readability, big digits + Indiglo is a really great combo on this Timex. Too bad their Flix technology is not there anymore.