Now I’ve been a bit critical of some aspects of finishing but here’s a very pleasant surprise: Having read on their website that the regulator and swan neck are black polished, it appeared to my eyes that quite a few other pieces appeared to have an identical finish (including some rather large ones). Given that black polish is supposed to be so hard I wasn’t so sure about about this so I wrote to GO asking about the parts I circled below. GO replied (also helpfully labelling the circled parts) confirming that indeed all of those parts, in addition to swan neck and regulator, are given a black polish!!!

"... After consultation with our watchmakers, I can assure you that all highlighted parts in the picture are enhanced using the traditional process of tin flat-polishing. These movement components are lavishly polished by hand with a tin rod until they are completely even and very shiny.

I have assigned your marked parts with the associated technical terms, thus you have an exact overview of the movement – as you can see attached... "

Nice perlage on the top plate can be seen in this image too ^

The black out effect of direct light at an offset angle

These investigations have been very educational for me. I’ve learned a bit more about what constitutes good finishing and although I found a few things to be critical about in the panograph (in strictly relative terms) overall I’ve come away with an even deeper appreciation of the amount of work the folks in the Glashutte Manufactory put into this work of art. On top of that the Panograph seems to have an extraordinarily large number of black polished components for a watch in its price range which was a pleasant discovery.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures (here’s a few more) and welcome any thoughts you all might have