Likes Likes:  46
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well, that was unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    More lugs of purple steel needed in this world
    It's a metaphor.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    You are subcontracting? In which case here's my artist's impression drawn by me and coloured in by my four year old daughter...

You can pay me later
    Love it! Flame treated for extra strength.

I can't believe that Cindy has a bigger collection than I do.
    Congratulations Henry, does this mean that your former beater, the black DS Original, will be leaving the fold?
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

Quote Originally Posted by scottjc View Post
    I can't believe that Cindy has a bigger collection than I do.
    Congratulations Henry, does this mean that your former beater, the black DS Original, will be leaving the fold?

No, I like it far too much. I think the New Original redesign was really nice. It's a significantly different watch than a regular Diastar, even an XL. It'll stay and maybe see a little less abuse. The trouble with using a Diastar as a beater is that they never show their labour, except on the bracelets.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    No, I like it far too much. I think the New Original redesign was really nice. It's a significantly different watch than a regular Diastar, even an XL. It'll stay and maybe see a little less abuse. The trouble with using a Diastar as a beater is that they never show their labour, except on the bracelets.

I agree. Mine gets more wear than any other single watch in my collection as I wear it every weekend while doing chores. It can handle anything and then just gets a wash to bring it back to normal.
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

Quote Originally Posted by scottjc View Post
    I agree. Mine gets more wear than any other single watch in my collection as I wear it every weekend while doing chores. It can handle anything and then just gets a wash to bring it back to normal.

It's likely that I will break the Powermatic in gently anyway. I won't be specifically looking to bang it up, but it was so cheap that I won't feel too bad. Once it does have a few dings however, it's on. That was another failing of my particular Seiko 5- it was too sensitive to scratches and it only had a stupid mineral crystal that wasn't even particularly clear to start with.

Wow, nice "beater"! I like Tissot and that they offer a nice range of piece from affordable on up. I like that it's 39mm, that's my only complaint with the Tissots I see at my AD, they're often too large. I have the Heritage Navigator (reissued world timer) which is really nice, but at 43mm it's almost like a dinner plate on my wrist. I still wear it, though.

BTW, I found a Tissot chrono (auto) on closeout for a stupid low price. It had RG-colored bezel and hands on a white dial and white rubber strap. My wife immediately adopted it.

8. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    Wow, nice "beater"! I like Tissot and that they offer a nice range of piece from affordable on up. I like that it's 39mm, that's my only complaint with the Tissots I see at my AD, they're often too large. I have the Heritage Navigator (reissued world timer) which is really nice, but at 43mm it's almost like a dinner plate on my wrist. I still wear it, though.

BTW, I found a Tissot chrono (auto) on closeout for a stupid low price. It had RG-colored bezel and hands on a white dial and white rubber strap. My wife immediately adopted it.
    Thanks. In this case, beater might be a bit much, at least to start. Myabe I should stick with cheap and cheerful? at least 'til I bang it up. Size is my main problem with the Tissots. I nearly picked up a quartz diver because it was small and STUPID cheap, less than department store fashion watch cheap, but then I spotted this in the back corner. The 41-43 mm with square shoulders is kind of silly, especially since the Powermatic is not the determining factor. The Luxury I picked up for my wife is 33mm and it has the Powermatic movement in it.

And, yeah, those close out deals are great. This place had a solid gold Tissot pocket watch for half price. If they'd had a Satellite at half off, I would have seriously considered taking up a pocket watch.

10. Likes scottjc, rfortson liked this post
    Nice!

12. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    An affordable watch with intriguing engineering and a very smart look.

Fabulous. I'd have one in a flash if I hadn't sworn off any purchases for a while.

14. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post