Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Cower of throw the dice for the slice

  1. #1
    Loves to yap about quartz I-B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Hasselt-Limburg-Flanders-Belgium
    Posts
    3,420

    Cower of throw the dice for the slice

    So, i need a bypass, the new carbon valves and 5 more hp... surgery got delayed again untill further notice. While the semilockdown ( you get fined big time for infractions) has been prelongued by 2 weeks, i got a call from the doctors assistent that they can cal me inn today and at any random other day as a matter, just to be there under the knife a day later. Got some really mixed feelings about the surgery cos 58 locals ( number growing by the day ) are in ER and a few 100 in regular beds, that's only in THIS 10k town hospital. I Mean, i ain't that brave about operations in general, especially not the open heart ones. What you guys think? Wait it out or F**k it and get sliced? I Mean, if it gets you chances you die are really really low compared to the ones actualy having corona and surviving. We just hear the horror shait cos it Sells and pays.....But i want it over with OR go home! Advice? I Mean, you can't run from it but i want to be home,not surrounded by viruspeople

    Last edited by I-B; Mar 29, 2020 at 12:30 PM.

  2. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
  3. #2
    wind-up merchant OhDark30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,736

    Cower of throw the dice for the slice

    Hi Ben

    Good to see you, and sorry to hear about your health issues

    As you say: tough decision

    And itís not just the potential for infection if youíre in hospital
    Bear in mind that post surgery youíll need aftercare, either through a district nurse or local clinic to change dressings etc
    These services will also be thin on the ground if the health system gets overwhelmed by the virus

    You need more info to make an informed choice - Iíd suggest a very frank discussion with your specialist/consultant. He/she will know the details of your case, and the current capacity of Belgian healthcare

    Questions to consider:
    - What are the risks to me if I delay?
    - And if I go ahead?
    - How long will I need in hospital/ICU?
    - How long is the recovery at home?
    - What would they advise their brother/ father to do if they were in your situation?

    Hope that helps
    And good luck with it all
    Kath
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

  4. Likes is that my watch, Raza liked this post
  5. #3
    MWC is that my watch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    came for a look stayed for the biskwits
    Posts
    34,940
    shits going to really hit the fan it will get worse before it gets better common sense says do it before it get to a uncontrolled effected level .

    here a week and a half ago we had 21 confirmed deaths from it now over a thousand so yes get it done before it gets crazy would be my say

    so later can't see them having the beds to do it plus a dam sight more infected will be there at the hospital

  6. #4
    deadhead hayday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    6,407
    Hey Ben. Ordinarily I'd say delay surgery as long as possible but this may be the exception. As COVID-19 continues to strain health care delivery systems (aka: hospitals), supplies and beds will come into increasingly small supply and increasingly high demand. They will likely send you home quickly, allowing you to resume quarantine and social distancing. I'd rather recover at home, personally. This is heart surgery so you probably want to get that taken care of.

    I'm not a doctor but I'd consider bypass to be a necessary surgery, not elective, and I'm surprised your surgery has been delayed. My comments come from a layperson's perspective so please don't interpret them as medical advice. I mentioned your situation to my wife, who is a doctor, and her response was "wow!"

    Be well, my friend.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

  7. #5
    I think Kath’s answer is spot on, and ismy’s point about where your country is on the curve is also right. Good luck.

  8. #6
    Member timefleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Hiroshima, Japan
    Posts
    16
    I'm in a similar situation, but in a different country altogether--I would opt for the surgery sooner rather than later, and I would not think that the hospital is the place that you would contract the virus--different sections, different doctors, different attendants, and, hospitals follow rigorous protocols regarding sterilization and so forth. It is on the outside where the concern lies, and that concern will likely be around for quite some time--you must prepare in such a way as for when you are released from the hospital you can go back home and remain in relative isolation (from the virus) until such a time as you have recovered completely from the surgery, and any possibilities of weaker immunities and so forth--best of luck!

  9. #7
    Tough situation, Ben.

    If you have surgery, do you have a safe place to recover without someone coming and going a lot? Can you get home and have care there, along with all supplies for a few weeks, so nobody coming in potentially exposes you or your environment to the virus? That would be a major deciding factor for me, as well as how much risk there is with waiting. You're likely already a high risk because of the existing heart issues. Are you safer waiting or going through it?

    I had been planning surgery for a severely damaged cervical spine (C5-7). Months of appointments, xrays, MRIs, interviewing doctors. Pain, weakness, atrophy, serious nerve related symptoms. My surgery was scheduled for March 17. Then the virus hit. The weekend before my surgery was scheduled the hospitals started cancelling non-emergency surgeries, but not mine. I had a choice, go to the hospital where there were likely some cases or wait until this mess blew over. I decided to take my chances and I had the surgery. It put me at higher risk initially (I can't talk or cough well, as well as having a large incision on the front of my neck), but the wife and I already had a month or more of food at the house and no need to leave or have anyone come here. I thought it was an acceptable risk. I'm glad I did, I feel much better with the surgery completed and can spend this isolation time to heal. I have some hospital grade PPE at the house, including N95 masks, so we are safe to leave to get supplies, although we have not done so yet.

    I wish you the best and hope that you can do what's best for your long term health.
    Last edited by happyscrappyheropup; Mar 29, 2020 at 02:59 PM.

  10. #8
    Hall Monitor Samanator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    Posts
    8,440
    Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    I'm in a similar situation, but in a different country altogether--I would opt for the surgery sooner rather than later, and I would not think that the hospital is the place that you would contract the virus--different sections, different doctors, different attendants, and, hospitals follow rigorous protocols regarding sterilization and so forth. It is on the outside where the concern lies, and that concern will likely be around for quite some time--you must prepare in such a way as for when you are released from the hospital you can go back home and remain in relative isolation (from the virus) until such a time as you have recovered completely from the surgery, and any possibilities of weaker immunities and so forth--best of luck!
    Hi Peter, sorry to hear this. I went though some of this a few years ago. All I can say is have your doctors chosen well.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Cheers,

    Michael

    Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

  11. #9
    Pinist. Al Pinist. rodia77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cork, IE
    Posts
    4,294
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    I’d suggest a very frank discussion with your specialist/consultant.
    +1
    Best of luck, whichever way it goes, buddy!
    I don't have pet peeves, I have major psychotic f***ing hatreds. GC

  12. #10
    Moderator - Central tribe125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Kent - UK
    Posts
    16,695
    Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    I'm not a doctor but I'd consider bypass to be a necessary surgery, not elective.

    Iím not a doctor either, but I agree. Medical resources are likely to become increasingly stretched, or in some cases absent, and I would have the procedure while I can. The risk of contracting the virus are unknown in any location. The street you live in could be riskier than the hospital, and at least the hospital has the expertise to manage the risk.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are an independent and wide-ranging forum for watch enthusiasts. From mainspring to microchip, from Europe to Asia, from micro-brand to boutique - we cover it all. Novice or expert, we want you to feel at home. Whether it's asking a simple question or contributing to the fund of horological knowledge, it's all the same hobby. Or, if you like, you can just show us a picture of your new watch. We'll provide the welcoming and courteous environment, the rest is up to you!
Join us