Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tudor Ranger Review

Tudor Ranger Review

I am fortunate to have this one on loan for a few days and even in that short time the Ranger's details have shown through. Most are familiar to some extent with the big picture features such as movement, size and background so I wanted to show a few smaller things that may have gone un-noticed.

Take it out of the box and immediately find it is heavier than one would think, it's a solid and well built watch - a tribute to it's adventurer purpose.

The supplied camo strap is a polarizing strap and it is thicker than many nato's out there and is woven by the same people that weave the robes for the Vatican. Whether you like it or not, you have to appreciate is construction. Note the vintage inspired Lug Holes - I'm happy right off the bat.

A closer examination of the case reveals it's details:

The brushed bezel is polished on the outer perimeter. It's thin and not a dominate feature (like the aggressive crown) but is a nice highlight in the light.

Speaking of the crown...It's beautifully decorated and it's wide with deep cuts making it very easy to grip. Also note the gap between the crown and case just like on the Black Bay.

The crystal is slightly domed and sits a little above bezel. I love the "ridges" or "reflections" in the crystal as it begins to curve to the dome.

The dial is not printed, it is painted. Also note the dial surface is matte go support it's tool watch heritage

Vintage touches....the "patina" on the painted numbers and markers is perfect. Not too much yellowing like many "faux-tina" dials. It is a light cream and looks just vintage enough.

The second hand is not bright red, it is a muted red again a nod to it's vintage heritage.

I've had the Ranger only on NATO and one leather strap but can tell this is super versatile watch.

Last edited by rockmastermike; Jun 27, 2015 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rockmastermike View Post
    The supplied camo strap is a polarizing strap and it is thicker than many nato's out there and is woven by the same people that weave the robes for the Vatican.

Blimey.

Thanks for those observations. It's a fine watch but doesn't thrill me in the same way as the forthcoming North Flag.

The North Flag looks fantastic, too. Plus the movement is a game changer.

Great shots, thanks for sharing!

Theres a few photos of the north flag around now, with Tudor hosting some events at AD's.

The north flag looks like a beast of watch, like a big slab of steel from the side view. Looks quite thick, and the straight lugs may make it difficult to wear

Quote Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
    Theres a few photos of the north flag around now, with Tudor hosting some events at AD's.

The north flag looks like a beast of watch, like a big slab of steel from the side view. Looks quite thick, and the straight lugs may make it difficult to wear
    Quick image search, these are the best side shots I could find

Thanks for posting such an insightful review.

Fantastic review! The Tudor Ranger is an absolutely gorgeous watch. Loved it as soon as it was released - despite some initial mixed reviews. I think it's a worth successor to the original Ranger / Explorer. Given that the price isn't insane, in a lot of ways it represents what Rolex Sport Watches always used to be about - high quality, well built, time pieces that you could take on your adventures without risking the equivalent of a couple months pay.

The North Flag is equally enamoring - in a 'modern' interpretation of the field watch sort of way. Everything that Tudor is doing speaks to me - their designs. Their approach. Even their advertising. I've always loved Rolex watches - the Submariner and the Explorer II have been on my 'want to buy' list for some time now. But I'm seriously wondering why I'd do that with the offerings that Tudor is bringing to the table now.

Great review. My favorite watch in the current Tudor line by quite some way...
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

Really nice review and beautiful pics.. Thanks for posting