Likes Likes:  78
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My corona experience

Wow! I knew you were under the weather, but didn't know you caught the virus. Thanks for sharing the experience, and we're all very glad you are recovering.

2. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Glad to know you are recovering/recovered . . . thanks so much for taking the time to post the info, hopefully now you've built up some immunity for the future , not sure if one can, you shouldn't have to ever go through the experience again . .

4. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Thanks everyone for your good wishes!

Yes, we’ve all had it pretty mildly, I think

My friend E had already had it when I spoke to her on the phone
    My sis C and her boyfriend likely caught it at work (they’re university lecturers) and had been isolating for 5 days when I started having symptoms
    None of us had contact with each other, just a coincidence we caught it at similar times

And yes, hopefully having had it means I can get back to work a bit sooner

Best of luck to all of you with it :-)
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

6. Likes skywatch, tribe125, mlcor, Strela167 liked this post
    Well, with Alan's help you blew your cover a few days ago so I knew something was going on -- glad to hear you've recovered and thanks for sharing your experience.

Question: the shortness of breath -- I read about it but I still don't know if it's 'only' a subjective feeling and 'all' you have to do is wait it out and breathe to the best you can, or does it require any treatment so you get all the oxygen that you need?

8. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    The shortness of breath is a real thing: you take bigger/ more frequent breaths to get enough air
    I got out of breath washing a few cups in the sink. Had to stop and sit down to get my breath back

This was worse for me when I had pneumonia, so I didn’t feel concerned this time

If you were taking big/frequent breaths and *still* not getting enough air, would be the time to get medical advice/ assistance
    (In UK, NHS 111 in the first instance)
    Supplementary oxygen might be needed
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

10. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post

And yes, hopefully having had it means I can get back to work a bit sooner
    Just to clarify things a bit: having been infected doesn't give an unlimited immunity. Apparently, the acquired immunity is limited to a period of a few months (around 6, but there's not scientific consensus) as is the case with other, now seasonal virus. So, be careful.

12. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Just to clarify things a bit: having been infected doesn't give an unlimited immunity. Apparently, the acquired immunity is limited to a period of a few months (around 6, but there's not scientific consensus) as is the case with other, now seasonal virus. So, be careful.
    When I read about this speculation a few weeks ago, regarding lack of long-term immunity, my first thought was, "Then how will they make a vaccine for it?"
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

14. Likes OhDark30 liked this post

My corona experience

Glad to hear you made it through this. Would have been interested if one had tested what the results would be. Seems some take a while to be rid of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Samanator; Apr 4, 2020 at 10:05 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

16. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    When I read about this speculation a few weeks ago, regarding lack of long-term immunity, my first thought was, "Then how will they make a vaccine for it?"

Flu vaccines don’t give ‘once and for all’ protection. In the UK, for example, if you’re 65+ you get called for a flu jab before the flu season starts. It will be the same, I guess with the new virus. The annual flu jab is ‘updated’ each year with the likely variants, and that’s likely to be replicated too.

You can pay for the flu jab if you’re under 65, but this was the first year I was called. Another use for our village hall, apart from the annual flower and vegetable show.

18. Likes CFR, OhDark30 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Exactly in the same way they make the vaccines for the seasonal influenza/ flu - one per year, assuming the same cycle.

Btw, I believe we're starting the immunity tests next week. Not sure how that is going to work

Edit: Mr Tribe beat me to it.
    Last edited by CFR; Apr 4, 2020 at 10:45 PM.

20. Likes OhDark30 liked this post