Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys think of Fortis watches?

Blog Entries

What do you guys think of Fortis watches?

I was just perusing Touch of Modern, as part of a ritual where I torture myself over things I either can't afford or want, but have no reason to buy, and therefore can't justify the purchase price (a plug in thermometer for your phone! That's so cool and a function that should exist already, but what's the point?), and I saw they had a sale on Fortis ending soon (within the next few hours, really).

So, of course, I'm in no position to buy, but I've never looked at Fortis seriously before. A few of their watches look really nice. The B-42 Flieger Chrono looks like a solid flieger chronograph, something like the IWC Spitfire I always wanted, but could never afford. And Fortis watches seem to come at a lot lower of a price than IWCs, even though they both look to have 7750s under the hood (comparing to older IWCs, before they went to the in-house movement that looks exactly like a 7750 on subdial placement). Then I saw this B-42 Black chrono, with a rotating bezel, that reminded me of the Damasko DC66 (but in this case, it was more expensive, since it has a mechanical alarm).

Thoughts? Experiences? Warnings? Is Fortis something I should bother looking into when I'm ready to purchase again? Or should I just look at the Hamilton Pilot Chrono when I'm ready for a new daily wear chronograph?

In comparison to:

Last edited by Raza; Jun 30, 2015 at 03:11 AM.

2. Likes is that my watch, geoffbot, JAGtime liked this post
    I've always admired how Fortis watches look... the B42 line is really nice. I often find myself looking up prices after seeing them in WRUW threads. Beyond that, unfortunately, I can't offer much in valuable feedback though never handling one myself..other than to say I'm interested in what others say
    Dan :: Ball/ Benarus/ Boschett/ Damasko/ Doxa/ IWC/ Longines/ Omega/ Precista/ Rolex/ Seiko/ Sinn/ Tudor/ Tutima.

4. Likes Raza liked this post

What do you guys think of Fortis watches?

Hi Raza - good choices!
    I've owned a Fortis Pilot Professional, and have to say, Fortis do make a nice watch

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435639058.260097.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  95.3 KB
    I got the 40mm Pilot Pro after reading this review by a fellow helo pilot
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f7/fort.../topics/202411
    Fortis were at the time upping their case size to 42mm (hence B42)
    My interest was in seeing a) how the Fortis stacked up against my Poljot Aviator (based on the Fortis Flieger) and b) the utility of the day-date and 5-minute markings to my work life
    I got a used PVD version on the bracelet, rather more aged (rubbed PVD) than ebay pictures/description suggested.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435640399.110443.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  50.1 KB

It ran the ETA 2824-2 and was very well finished. I never wore it on the bracelet (the only watch I have was my Speedy Reduced)
    I stuck with the Aviator because:
    - 40mm is big for me. The Aviator is 38
    - the Pilot Pro has straight lugs as opposed to the slightly curved ones on the Aviator. They sort of hung in mid air above my wrist
    - the Aviator's bead blasting and generally more industrial level of finish, better suited a tool watch, imo
    - though handy for shift work, I didn't use the day function as much as I thought. And (it turns out) I tell time by the angles of the hands & the 5 min markings didn't make my reading of, say, 0537, any faster
    - plus I collect Russian watches :-)

In conclusion, Fortis make well finished watches with a decent pilot pedigree. Nicely styled and good attention to detail, without setting the design world on fire
    Classy tool watches would be my description, and I mean that as a compliment
    Hope that helps :-)
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

Don't own one. But from pics and seeing them in person, they are very good looking on the wrist.

Given the choices from your list, I actually prefer their white over the Spitfire, BUT, prefer Damasko over the black fortis.

If I remember correctly, CFR has a similar pice (black dial).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    I was tempted by the same TOM email. I've not had one and believe they have pieces that core off several ends of the spectrum. The B42 line looks nice to me and have no reason to suspect it isn't s fine piece. Ultimately I didn't pull the trigger, though St some point I wouldn't mind giving one a whirl.

They have a decent heritage too!, They were the company that William Harwood used to build his seminal waterproof automatic back in the twenties and, unsurprisingly they brought out their own waterproof automatic model shortly afterwards. However, while the Harwood design just looks a bit odd today, the Fortis version could easily be mistaken for a modern military inspired watch. However, there's a case that this is the watch that inspired them!

10. Likes OhDark30, Raza, FuzzyB liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    Hi Raza - good choices!
    I've owned a Fortis Pilot Professional, and have to say, Fortis do make a nice watch

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435639058.260097.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  95.3 KB
    I got the 40mm Pilot Pro after reading this review by a fellow helo pilot
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f7/fort.../topics/202411
    Fortis were at the time upping their case size to 42mm (hence B42)
    My interest was in seeing a) how the Fortis stacked up against my Poljot Aviator (based on the Fortis Flieger) and b) the utility of the day-date and 5-minute markings to my work life
    I got a used PVD version on the bracelet, rather more aged (rubbed PVD) than ebay pictures/description suggested.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435640399.110443.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  50.1 KB

It ran the ETA 2824-2 and was very well finished. I never wore it on the bracelet (the only watch I have was my Speedy Reduced)
    I stuck with the Aviator because:
    - 40mm is big for me. The Aviator is 38
    - the Pilot Pro has straight lugs as opposed to the slightly curved ones on the Aviator. They sort of hung in mid air above my wrist
    - the Aviator's bead blasting and generally more industrial level of finish, better suited a tool watch, imo
    - though handy for shift work, I didn't use the day function as much as I thought. And (it turns out) I tell time by the angles of the hands & the 5 min markings didn't make my reading of, say, 0537, any faster
    - plus I collect Russian watches :-)

In conclusion, Fortis make well finished watches with a decent pilot pedigree. Nicely styled and good attention to detail, without setting the design world on fire
    Classy tool watches would be my description, and I mean that as a compliment
    Hope that helps :-)
    Thanks for the insight, Kath!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutty28 View Post
    Don't own one. But from pics and seeing them in person, they are very good looking on the wrist.

Given the choices from your list, I actually prefer their white over the Spitfire, BUT, prefer Damasko over the black fortis.

If I remember correctly, CFR has a similar pice (black dial).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the white dial with the blue hands (I've also seen it with the same hand design, but in black, which I don't like as much) is a pretty stunning piece.

What's CFR?

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Yeah, the white dial with the blue hands (I've also seen it with the same hand design, but in black, which I don't like as much) is a pretty stunning piece.

What's CFR?
    think she means fellow member CFR has one to with a black dial if I remember right
    have not got any but seen some of the older one I have liked and bid on but not yet won one of the bids so who knows
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

14. Likes Nutty28 liked this post
    I used to own a NOS vintage MM. Loved the look and the huge crystal was awesome